First Impressions and Turn Offs 💙

Hey, MA here :wave:

So I was thinking earlier about stories that, in the past, I have stopped reading before even finishing the first chapter, and I just wanted to know:
What jumps out in a story for you to stop reading it?
And what things make you think “this story is gonna be great”?

Examples of things that give me a bad first impression of a story:

Customisation - If a whole episode is dedicated to CC, I tend to just exit the story, I feel like I’m wasting passes, and the whole concept in general just bores me. I don’t want to customize the MC, and the MCs grandparents, and basically everybody you’ll meet in the story. :woman_facepalming: If an author says that the episode will be CC only…
I’m out.

Plotlines - If I see that a story condones/ normalises illegal activities, bullying etc (* cough * It Starts With a Bra * cough *) I will stop reading it. These stories do nothing but send negative messages to readers (a lot of which are young people). A story that promotes bullying, sexual assault, manipulation? I’m out.

Sexual Themes - When I first started reading stories on Episode, I stumbled upon a story that started off tame. It had an okay storyline, so I thought “okay, this could be good”.
As the story progressed, I noticed that it was touching on some pretty mature sexual actions. The more I read of the story, the more inappropriate and sexual it got. After about the 10th episode, it was basically like reading smut. Every episode would have a new sexual idea that the author had not yet explored. I for one think these stories are disgusting, as the majority of Episode readers are young. I too was young when I read this story, and some of the things the story described, I had no idea about. I think it is awful that young people might have to learn about adult stuff in an Episode story!! It violates so many guidelines. A story that does nothing but promote and describe sexual actions just to “entertain” readers?
I’m out.

Please, feel free to develop my points, and comment your story DOs and DON’Ts :slightly_smiling_face:

I hate it when stories glamourize mental help and when they have a freaking gem choice every 20 lines :roll_eyes:

:raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:

Gem choices, the plague of episode. :woman_facepalming:

It really bothers me when authors get the main character to introduce themselves and everyone in the story. Specifically when a black screen is used and everyone walks on individually to be introduced. Like, you’ll be playing as “insert generic name here”…’This is your best friend, you’ve know her for years, she is sassy and fashionable.’ If there’s things to learn about characters I’d much rather it be woven into the story and uncovered through dialogue or flashbacks. If this is how your story starts, I’ll be clicking exit.

It’s also annoying when stories are too repetitive. Such as love triangles. Usually it will be the MC and the love interest on the cover, probably in an erotic position. It will be named something generic like ‘Unbreakable desire’ (if there are any stories named this it wasn’t directed I just made it up) and the description will be ‘MC is fired/kidnapped/hired/dumped and meets a handsome stranger. Turns out he is her teacher/best friend’s bf/stepbrother/a badboy/billionaire. Will she find love?’ It’s infuriates me when the same stories (like the one I’ve just made up) are in different genres. Adding a werewolf or a gang leader so you can put the same generic love story in the action or fantasy genre is not cool.

I’m not even going to start on gem choices.

And exhale. :joy:

Love it, :joy:

It’s so very annoying when everybody is introduced in writing and their whole life story is told. I want it to be discovered through dialogue throughout the story. I think we’ll all be able to piece together who the best friend, sister and mother are. It will be pretty obvious.

I agree, a repetitive story line is the worst. :woman_facepalming: Such as the bad boy/girl storyline, Episode itself is guilty for this. Inexcusable behaviour being accepted because the MC is attractive.
Or even roommate stories to be honest.
How many different ways can you write that two people share an apartment, dorm room etc and then fall madly in love?
Answer = obviously not very many.

X3 funny and true its all the same no matter what sexuality/race/speices(like a fantasy vampire roomate or somthing)
Also i hate how ppl think genderbending tropes is something groundbreaking its not…its the same trope just diffrent gender.

I know :woman_facepalming:
Like really? This storyline again?! :sleeping:

When you have to pay 100 diamonds to wear clothing if not u have to go to a party wearing a sack! That’s half of why i don’t really read featured stories.

Oh my god yes :woman_facepalming:

Definently narraration. Im reading a story rn where its way too much narrartion and the author comes off as trying to be deep and pretencious. I hate excessive narraration

Hello @Mystery.Author, this is Sydney the Moderator.

This topic has been moved from General Chat to Episode Fan Community since it discusses stories. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics. :wink:

Thanks for reading and have a good day :sunglasses:

Honestly, I usually click out of a story right at the beginning if “The author” walks on to explain things about the story. Especially when they start saying, this is my first story, it may be rubbish but please give it a try or, the first three chapters are rubbish but it gets better… that kind of thing. Although my eyes usually just start rolling the moment the author walks on and I usually don’t get past their 'introduction :woman_shrugging:

I absolutely hate gem choices especially the ones that make you feel guilty for not wasting your gems that you worked so hard to get by having to read episode staff made stories or by day streaking.

Especially when said gem choices can be 15, 20, or even more! :expressionless:

For an example; want to save your friend from being killed? That’ll cost 15 gems, sweetcheeks! You don’t have it? Too bad!

Wish to maybe buy gems instead then? No can do; it costs ten US Dollars alone just to have a couple gems that more than likely won’t even go through a whole story series alone.

Oof, here I am ranting.

But yeah, not helping when you don’t know what you’re in for whenever you drop into a new episode of your current favorite story. :unamused:

Most of the time it won’t even matter because you’ll likely get the guy in the end either way. I mean, nobody wants to play a story and waste passes to not even get the guy in the end, right? That’ll cause some serious outrage right there.

I’d love to see gem choices done correctly. I’d be more willing to spend gems at all instead of stacking them because I see little to no point in using them majorly of the time.

The Episode Staff already screwed themselves over when they place the four passes limit on us. Majority of the time, kids more than likely can’t even buy gems without their parents hunting them down for using money off of their account. If anything, they’d have to beg and the parents will refuse when they see just how much it is just to get a couple gems or passes. It’s a wonder how Episode is passing along so easily since they have to survive on ad revenue at this point.

I wish they treated their readers with a little more respect in a way? I mean, don’t get me wrong, I’m loving the fact that they’re updating their game with new things to help writers out, but it seems like they rather just mess with themselves and ruin their only chance of making actual cash off the ad revenue they get.

Then again, I shouldn’t be saying much since they’re practically are breaking their own guidelines with the story ‘It Started With A Bra’ being featured.

Author notes saying “this won’t be the best cause it’s my first time writing a story” are always a put off for me. It makes me think that if the author themself doesn’t think the story is good, then I won’t either.

Narrative gets soooo boring, I can’t deal with like 15 straight speechbubbles just talking. I love the use of animations in Episode. It’s one of the reasons I don’t like reading Wattpad stories.

I agree, I’d rather have a visual, and get to know things as the story progresses, not with writing.

Author introductions kind of give me the vibe that they’re going to be coming on in like every episode with pointless inputs. I hate those kind of authors who come on to the screen EVERY SINGLE EPISODE :woman_facepalming:

Ikr, “are you sure? I thought you wanted to be noticed.” Like wtf?

stuff like
would you like to wear this amazing fabulous glamorous fine a&& dress for 25 diamonds?
YES PLEASE
No thanks, I’ll wear this bag of sh1t.

or like
MC: Hi I’m Anna
Person: Hi I’m Elle.
MC:let’s be best friends after only talking for a minute.
Person:Ok.

oh the most annoying!
MC: I’ve seen this guy 2 seconds ago. He is the hottest person that I have ever laid my eyes on. I’ve felt this weird electricity running through my body. It’s like… Beyond his bad boy exterior, there was someone else…
2 days later after a party:
THE GUY: Anna… There’s something about you… That I can’t explain. You are just so… broods Different…