Flagging, the forums and you! đźš©

If a user get’s flagged and the staff agrees that the post or thread was objectionable and violates the rules…specifically in the case mentioned of users being off topic, then you were off topic and the team agrees with the flag. Reviewing the general rules again might help with some of the confusion expressed in this thread. :man_shrugging:

Also, Let’s share some insight as to off topic posting.

From the tutorial above. This is one of the reasons that many of the community’s post’s get flagged. Instead of flagging a post that violates the forum rules they try to self moderate which then derails the conversation which is considered to be off-topic. If the community simply starts flagging instead of trying to play moderator it would substantially decrease the amount of off topic flags you receive and only those who are breaking the rules will get flagged. Regarding the abuse of the flagging system…yes people do it…but all of those flags come directly to us…and if the flag is not warranted then we dismiss it and the flagged user does not get into any trouble.

It’s very important to understand that the team cannot dismiss a flagged post because the flagged user had good intentions. Having the best intentions and trying to help the forum team while breaking the rules at the same time is still breaking the forum rules.

IE:
Forum User A creates a Dragonball Appreciation thread
Forum User B Replies to User A’s thread saying how they hate Dragonball
Forum User C Replies to User B’s post telling them that this is a Dragonball appreciation thread and that User B’s post is not allowed

Where did User C go wrong? We do recognize the good intentions that this user had with their reply…but they did not flag User B’s post and instead attempted playing the roll of a moderator which then in turn creates off-topic discussion in the thread. This is considered off-topic and both User B and User C should then both be flagged and dealt with by the forum team.

Please know that if you get flagged and don’t agree with it you have every opportunity to reach out to @Sydney_H or myself to discuss the flag. So far (me personally) I have only had maybe a handful of people coming to me in PM to discuss a flag that they did not agree with. That is not a very large statistic when we have 90k+ members on the forums. So please, we encourage you to reach out to us if you ever have any questions regarding a flag that you received. Thanks.

1 Like