Folklores and mythical creatures: writing prompts for fantastical writers

Hey there!
Recently I have noticed a lot of people complaining about the “lack of diversity in fantastical creatures”, or something with similar meaning. I think everyone (myself included) would like to see more of characters/creatures who are not werewolves, vampires, fairies, blue/green unspecified creature, etc., etc.
I know the episode community has a large range of ethnicities and cultures, so if any of you think of a myth, legend or beliefs of the type, feel free to comment! It can help authors as writing prompts (ideas or starting points of a story).
It can be descending from your culture or just a story you were told when you were little! This thread is just a big sharing center, where we can sharpen our imagi :slight_smile:

I’ll start!
Hi, I’m Hana! I’m a Chinese-Canadian girl, and I was born and raised in Canada, although both of my parents are of Chinese origin.
The twelve animals of zodiac
This is probably the most popular myth. Basically, Chinese people celebrate the Chinese New Year, and each year corresponds to one of the twelve animals, which are the rat, the ox, the tiger, the rabbit, the dragon, the snake, the horse, the sheep, the monkey, the rooster, the dog and the pig. They all form a cycle of twelve years. There are many legends regarding this event, as it is the most important of the calendar, but I will here present you one my mom used to tell me.
Legends say that the cat was supposed to be there too. On the registration date, where all animals had to race in order to gain a rank, he had asked the rat to wake him up; only, the rat hated the cat and therefore left without him. The cat only woke up later when the race had ended, blaming the rat: which is how their hostility started.

Nian
Nian was an enormous monster, who around the time of the Chinese New Year would come and haunt the villagers. As he was scared of red and noise, families would reunite and people would wear and decorate in red, make music and set fireworks.

Death

Death
I am not sure if this one is about my culture or if it’s just my parents trying to reassure me as a kid. Anyways, I’m still going to tell you because I find it interesting, even though it is similar to Hinduist beliefs. Please, if this offends you or you are sensitive to this topic, feel free to skip to the next one. :slight_smile:
When we die, our spirits shall leave this world and our souls shall lift to the clouds. There, we shall build our house and settle. A lady is waiting at the other side of a bridge, and she has the potion of rebirth; when she judges us ready, she will call us and lead us to another life, where we will forget all about or past ones and our loved ones.

The frog who lived in a well
There was a frog who lived in a deep, dark well. When he looked up to the sky, the only thing he could see was the sky, and only a circle-shaped piece of it.
When he finally climbed out of the well, he discovered the world was a lot bigger and different than he thought it was.

A lot of legends come from morals, which parents teach children and spend hours elaborating on joy:

Sun Wukong
This is an extremely long series…
To be honest, I’m not sure where it originated from, but there are so many modern adaptations for kids (even cartoons!) so I’m just going to very briefly resume it.
Basically, Sun Wukong is a monkey who was not yet satisfied with what he had and broke laws by stealing sacred peaches, then destroying the Sky Kingdom with his thousand-powers weapon, a red and yellow stick. Buddha condemns him to wear a headband as a punishment.
Later on, he goes on a journey to India with a monk and his disciples, where they have to fight monsters of all kinds.

Interesting link I found (edited)

Here… I’m sorry if this was very long lol! If you are interested, you can do research and I swear dozens of results will pop up!
Also sorry if some things sound weird… I was trying to translate in my head :rofl: Anyways if you have questions, thoughts, legends or creatures to share, feel free to! I’m looking forward to see what you guys were taught about fantasticals :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.