Following A Character In The Same Zone Using Spot Directing

mustread

So, I want to follow a character to a certain spot in the same zone and it isnt working. Heres what I put…

INT. RICHARDS HALLWAY2

@ISABELLE enters from left to screen center and ISABELLE is walk_sad_loop then ISABELLE is idle_rear and ISABELLE faces left

@follow ISABELLE to spot 0.425 251 380 in zone 1 and ISABELLE is walk_neutral_rear and ISABELLE faces left

@ISABELLE is think_rubchin

Try:

@ISABELLE walks to spot 0.425 251 380 in zone 1 and ISABELLE is walk_neutral_rear and ISABELLE faces left

I need the screen to follow her. That just makes her walk but the screen doesnt go with it.

Zooming would help

I know but I don’t know what co-ordinates to use.

nvm ive fixed it

When you use the zoom tool, zoom on the place where she starts, write the cordinates down, then when she walks to the spot- put the zoom where you want it- then write those down.
insert first zoom cordinates here
@ISABELLE walks to spot 0.425 251 380 in zone 1 in 5 AND ISABELLE is walk_neutral rear AND ISABELLE faces left AND insert 2nd zoom cordinates and instead of the 0 at the end (where it says in 0) put a five there so it says in 5 after the cordinates.

Heres an example from my story (I just wanted to zoom on the feet tho)
&STAR spot 0.498 12 412 in zone 2 AND STAR faces right
@cut to zone 2 AND zoom on 320 237 to 960% in 0
@STAR walks to spot 0.473 301 414 in zone 2 in 9 AND zoom on 639 249 to 960% in 9

Cuts work best. I use a lot of pan + walk which gets the job done, but sometimes it looks awkward.

For example:

@ISABELLE walks to spot 0.425 251 380 in zone 1 and ISABELLE is walk_neutral_rear and ISABELLE faces left
@pan to zone 1

You can’t follow when you’re spot directing for some reason, so you just need to break the action up into two different commands.

Actually you can- but it’s complicated coding

Really? Do you have a link to a tutorial so I can look into it? :slight_smile:

I figured how to do it on my own, but heres something to help with that:

1. Put your character in the spot you want her/him
  2. Put the first zoom you want
  3. Have her walk to whatever spot you want
    4, Zoom up on her in that spot and write the coordinates down
  4. Now, edit the script so when you have her walk to the spot make sure she walks to it in a manner of seconds like: CHARACTER walks to spot 0.554 333 535 in zone 1 in 5- etc and then add the coordinates you wrote down so it’s like:
    @CHARACTER walks to spot 0.554 333 535 in zone 1 in 5 AND zoom on (insert zoom coordinates) and add the same number you put at the end of the spot positions- in this case it would be five, and now you have the camera following her.
    You might have to change a few things because it really depends on your script.

Thank you so much!! I’m going to test this out. You rock :heart:

You might have to play around a bit tho. That’s what I had to do.
Here’s what the “template” looks like:
@CHARACTER stands spot -insert spot positioning here- AND zoom on -insert zoom coordinates here-
@CHARACTER walks to spot -insert spot positioning here- (make sure you tell the script how long you want it to be: ex- CHAR walks to spot bla bla bla in 5) AND zoom on -insert zoom coordinates here- (make sure you also tell the script how long you want it here too, and it has to be in the same number you did before.
Tell me if there are any errors or confusions. I won’t be able to chat for a few hours (stupid night) but I’ll check in the morning!

It’s fine, I won’t be able to test it until tomorrow, anyhow, but I’m very appreciative of your help. I’m new to scripting so this helps a lot.