FORUMS: A warning message to "flaggers?"

It’s apparent (based on the opinions of the community) that there is a serious problem with people flagging unnecessarily. Perhaps a warning message should pop up before someone can submit a flag??

Example:
THINK BEFORE YOU FLAG: flagging a post can result in community members being suspended or even banned. There will be consequences such as: (insert consequences here) If you abuse this feature. Would you still like to flag this post?

47 Likes

Serious! Support.

4 Likes

Support!

3 Likes

Yes, Support :+1:

1 Like

I think it would work only as a thing that annoys you, and therefore prevents from flagging non-stop. But the message itself is kinda useless. If you really want to flag a person it won’t stop anyone.

6 Likes

I second this. :+1:

SUPPORT!

1 Like

Support :smirk:

1 Like

@ThatRandomPerson @fcukforcookies

Agreed… it may not stop people… but I do think that most people will think twice before flagging if they are warned about the consequences of flagging unnecessarily. I don’t think there is a 100% solution for the issue… but I do think its worth a try and may slow down the “faux-flagging” Not only will this help us… but the mods as well. Its worth a try at least.

4 Likes

Then you believe in people more than I do xD
I u think it will help, push the idea :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Supported

2 Likes

support

1 Like

Support! This is a nice idea and hopefully it does stop some people :smile:

2 Likes

My concern this system is that it also punishes people who might be doing the ring thing. I saw someone get flagged for saying r*tarded. which is offensive, and a word you really shouldn’t use. I imagine that flagger would be pretty annoyed if they saw a “think before you flag!” notice when there are people posting inflammatory content on the forums.

3 Likes

I agree… It will be annoying, but I’m not sure I would consider it a punishment. I guess I’ve seen this warning system used on other forums and sites. Its made me rethink whether or not I was simply overreacting and perhaps I was taking someones opinion to personally. It’s more of a “Hey you! Calm down and THINK about this!” Of course, if someone was in clear violation of a rule, I would proceed. You may be 100% correct… but, I just know that these warnings have prevented me from reporting things I didn’t like in the past (on other forums) Maybe I’m wrong though. TY for your thoughts!

2 Likes

I guess that’s fair. There are definitely people who abuse the system (I’ve even seen people say things like “whoops ran out of flags!”), and I’ve been flagged for saying “what happened here?” When a thread got off the rails. :grimacing:

Perhaps punishment isn’t the right word, but there are definitely people on here who I’ve seen display behavior just as bad, if not worse, than the people flagging them. Abusing the system is bad, but name-calling and harassment is not much better.

That being said, a mod still has to clear it, and flags only go through if they deem it appropriate. Flagging my own post as an example of what we currently see:

It kinda sucks that the mercy of innocent posts are at the moderator who picked it up in the queue, but hey. :sweat_smile:

And no problem! Always happy to see people who want to improve this community.:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very excellent points! ML to you, its very appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Support

2 Likes

Technically, if people are looking at posts and moderating them, this will make them think twice and if they flag and the post has content that isn’t against guidelines, then the flagger can get in trouble.

3 Likes