Friendly thread discussing CuStOmIzAtIoN and anything else! <3

EDITED VERSION - I clearly didn’t explain my reasons down below correctly. So I will update them.

REASON NUMBER 1. I casted her as a white woman. Because that is how I envision her. (YES I SEE her this way because of a REAL reason regardless of people’s assumptions.) And LOTS of people don’t like limited CC at all. SO if they wish to have FULL CC, sure go ahead. She won’t match the art but people don’t care for art scenes either anyway. :man_shrugging: BUT :arrow_down:

REASON NUMBER 2. If I can’t have MY character look the same in everyone’s story (BECAUSE people WILL complain) if the CC is limited to no skin tone THEN I CAN USE OVERLAYS and make my story a little cooler.

There is a real reason as to why she’s white. There is a real reason as to why the love interest is Asian. (But. people. still. won’t. care. about. my. logic. and will complain about the CC. BUT if I offer FULL CC then people are going to assume I don’t really care about the character I created and that her reasoning for being white doesn’t matter.) I don’t need to explain myself here, (I don’t need to explain my reasoning at all lol) if you’d like to know then read my story. :heart:

{ORIGINAL POST }

So… This scares me but in my entry for the CC my character is a certain skin tone and I was going to make it FINAL no customization available for her skin tone…

Reason number 1. OVERLAYS. It makes the directing and story so much more advanced and feel more like a movie. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Reason number 2. It’s how I ENVISION my character. Like I’m sorry that is how I’m casting her… :sneezing_face: Would you go up to director of Everything, Everything and be like “UM her skin tone is not right! It’s not how I envision her!11!1!” Or would you send messages to the director of the Titanic asking why they casted the lead as a “RED HEAD. LIKE HOW DARE YOU. RED?!”

I don’t think so… I totally understand episode is for playing and creating your own version of the story and what not but IDK I’m so indecisive and I want to make people happy. Share your thoughts below!

And add anything else you want. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Rants, vents, favorite stories, episode cliches you hate, things you never see… anything!

3 Likes

I prefer customization unless the character is a poc but you do you.

2 Likes

Honestly I dont hate customization but I rather not use it most of the time! Even some of the best stories I’ve read have no character customization whatsoever and in my opinion it makes the story better. Idk if it’s just me but it’s like your seeing this characters life, like as people know your not always playing as yourself (depending on the story) but your usually playing as another characters and just following through them and I think it’s what makes ME more invested in a story :joy:

But everyone is different so yea :joy:

2 Likes

it is long time since i stopped caring about cc it was cool in the start, i only change them if i dont like how she looks but i would not stop to read if there was not any,

2 Likes

i don’t usually like cc because it takes too long and i’m lazy. my favorite stories have no cc :woman_shrugging:t2: also i feel like i’m playing their story, which i like better than making my own.

2 Likes

I think it very much depends on what type of story you’re trying to tell.
If the mc is an overall very “likeable” person and you want your readers to identify with her, I’d say CC is a good thing.
But if she has flaws and issues and the reader does not always really agree with her perspective or decisions, I’d skip the customization. To experience her story, but not feel like they themselves might have made a mistake or something like that…

1 Like

Oh yeah, this actually makes a lot of sense and I never thought about it that way!

I have a story that gives the option if someone wants to CC or nah and I just code it so limb overlays only appear for those who didn’t customise :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh thats a really good idea! :thinking::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this doesn’t fit into any Creator’s Corner category. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

I hate it when people automatically dislike a story and wont read it if there’s no CC? I mean, really!?

2 Likes

Wouldnt be an issue if non CC characters were more varied. In personality and apperance

6 Likes

yeah if you’re gonna add no cc at least try to add something diverse and interesting about the character. It’s hard to play as the same generic character over and over again and that’s why I prefer cc because at least I can not be forced to be the same looking character you see in every story lmao.

3 Likes

People really don’t complain when it comes down to limiting the skin tone of a white MC. I’ve seen people complain lot more with people limiting light skin tones. I’m not sure why it would scare you.

2 Likes

Also uhh…this is sort of a bad example? Episode is a fictional story-telling app. People can feel free to customize a character however they please…that’s not the case with real-life movies and real-life people.

2 Likes

If you don’t have name customization, you’ll be fine. It’s a pre-existing character, not reader insert.

2 Likes

Of course, I get that! My point is I want to make the readers happy but I also view my character a certain way and wouldn’t want that to deter any one from my story

Like I said I just want to make every one happy lol

That’s what I’m mostly worried about :disappointed_relieved: but honestly (people won’t care for my logic of her skin tone and ethnicity anyway) a side reason I don’t want to add customization is because of the overlays… it makes the story so much better haha

1 Like

Same same same!

But overall,I dont see why CC matters, to me I don’t like having customized a character only to see the artwork and overlays a different color. CC isn’t for every type of story

1 Like