Full CC, Limited CC, or No CC

opinion

Hi! I’m currently on the first chapter of my first ever story, and I’ve got a whole story planned. I’m stuck on letting the readers create their character (name+appearance), choose their appearance (appearance), or no CC at all. I personally love stories with CC because I feel like I’m in the story and that the choices I select are important. I want to do CC but I also want to do the main character I have planned. Should I do CC (full or limited) or should I do no CC?

I read story with CC limited, full, or none, but most readers like CC so maybe do limited so you still get the look of the character you had in mind.
For one of my limited CC i let them choose eye shape, nose shape, face shape, and a out of about 4 skin tones i think, they couldn’t choose eye color, hair color, or a skin tone out of my range.
But always do what you feel is best don’t do it for the readers do it for you :wink:

Thank you so much!

Limited so you can still keep your character the same but change a little

Thank you!

Full CC!

Limited CC

I’m one of them readers that don’t mind. As long as the story is good I’m going to read it. :blush::blue_heart:

I’m ok with it and without it. If I had to choose one it would be no CC. Just because I like to see what the author actually envision their characters to be like.

I prefer full CC however I’ll still read a story despite it having no or limited CC, because it’s always the stoy line that matters the most ^^

I’d rather be a non CC character who’s in a well written story than a CC character in a story full of errors : )

Alright! Thank you

Thanks so much!!

I decided to bump this thread because I don’t want to create a separate one for this. So I have one story in which I don’t let readers change the MC’s skin and hair color because it is important plotwise, but I can’t reveal this at the beginning because it would spoil the story.
I’ve never thought that this could be a problem, but recently I read in several threads that many readers dislike when there is CC but the author doesn’t allow to change the character’s skin color. When I published the story I decided to go with limited CC because I personally like when I have the option to change some minor things, but now I’m confused. Should I keep the limited CC or would it be better to completely remove it?

Remove it if you want to keep the originality of your character. Its your choice.

Yes, this is my choice, I just don’t want readers to get the wrong idea. I’m glad that you replied because I actually read that you prefer to have the choice to change skin color. If you don’t have this option you prefer no CC if I understand well?

I would prefer no CC if I can’t change the skin tone. And when I cant change the name or if it’s an original character type for the person, I don’t customize even if there is an option for it. It’s your character. I have no control over their looks or behavior.

I personally like stories with no CC. It gives the unique perspective that the MC isn’t the reader, but a character that the author has created and developed themselves. This is the way I like to write. It makes sense, too. If you work hard on making and developing the main character, why would you want readers changing your vision? CC can potentially ruin the whole reading experience. Obviously, this is my opinion, but I feel like it’s a common one among writers.

Thanks for the reply!

I think give readers the choice for full cc, and the choice for no cc :)) seems to work well!

I completely agree with this, I only add CC because most of the readers like it. When I read a story I usually don’t customize characters unless there is something that bothers me a little (I know this is stupid but I can’t relate to female MCs with Full Round lips for example.) But in most of the cases I prefer to keep the characters how the author envisoned them.