Fun topic! Do you get frustrated with..... coding on Episode?

Do you ever get frustrated when coding for episode? Even if you’ve been a long time writer? Let’s talk about it, I’m curious!

Just curious because I do and sometimes I lose inspiration and take a break because I just get so aggravated!! Haha. Am I crazy or is this not normal for some of you guys?? Then again I’m still fairly new to writing !

13 Likes

Yeah, but I blame myself for the most part. I could make it simple, but I choose to do all the branching that makes me frustrated, soo…

9 Likes

I’m new to writing and all the coding makes me fristrated.

4 Likes

Even when you get better at it, it still is extremely frustrating :frowning_face:

4 Likes

I do get really frustrated literally all the time!!

3 Likes

I’m decent at it but the overlays really irritate me.

3 Likes

I get so irritated when you think you coded it right, and then you go to preview and character isn’t even doing what you coded. Or when you think everything’s perfect then you get the error pop up :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

I actually hate it because I’m always frustrated but imma figure this ish out before January is over.

2 Likes

The coding part is actually fairly easy for me. It depends on the level of complexity though. When I was teaching myself the bulk of everything a year ago I would get so frustrated with errors and warnings popping up at every corner to the point of nearly deleting the entire story script, crying, breaking shit, etc. All that drama just to find out I made a little mistake like misspelling the “AND” command in a long string of code or forgetting the ‘spot’ command for placing characters (do not code late at night kids).

7 Likes

Absolutely! I have no patience when it comes to coding i just wanna put my story out there. Unfortunately im picky and i need to be extremely happy with my story in order to publish it which is why im so slow. It takes forever and after a while i get so unmotivated. And i have to wait til’ im motivated it gets kinda annoying.

2 Likes

Omg yyyyaaaasssss but it’s partly my fault because I dove headfirst into my first story with crazy advanced directing… took me 6 months for the first 3 episodes but now(pending cover art approval) I’m finally ready to publish​:blush::blush::blush::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:

4 Likes

Don’t give up!! You’ll get it! I promise. I was the same way. I started back in June trying to figure out how to do it, and I got so frustrated with spot directing that I gave up until November, and for some odd reason the more I played with it after having that small tantrum, I started to understand it more. Sometimes you can’t over think it, and what has helped me out the most is creating threads, and asking questions to other creators on here! Don’t give up!

4 Likes

If you ever need help PM me and I’ll try my best to help you. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

You’re so welcome <3

2 Likes

Hey, I get it! When I first attempted to code way back in 2015 I took one look at the portal tutorials, didn’t type not a thing, and quit right on the spot because it looked too hard.

But I came back and tried again. This time around I studied the code like it was gonna be on a final that was 40% of my overall grade (shamefully I can’t put the same amount of dedication into actual schoolwork :unamused:) But trust me if you keep at it you’ll get the hang of it! Just like anything else you study! The gratification you get from learning and pulling off a new coding trick is well worth it and seeing it come to life with a good story plot is the best. Just remember the forums and YouTube are your two best friends.

5 Likes

Yes I do

1 Like

No problem! :smile:

2 Likes

Yep, lol there have been many times when I have shut off my laptop for a few hours before opening it up again and trying to figure out what is wrong with my coding!
The only reason for it becoming frustrating is because I am a very impatient person, I like things to go my way instantly however I found coding the hardest when I first started because yeah, I was new to it! But ever since I started experimenting with it and finding different templates to work out it has become a lot easier, I still struggle with the remembering choices template etc but practice makes perfect I guess :kissing_closed_eyes::grin:

3 Likes

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this is related to Episode. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

Oh, I certainly do, because even after you understand, coding is still a pain sometimes.

2 Likes