Game menu error: not a valid directing command

Yeah I have. I just don’t get it. :woman_facepalming:

Do you want to copy and past your script here and I can manually change the errors I spot? I have a pretty complex menu myself, so I feel like I’ve had to deal with almost every error there is at some point :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Hm, well the customization is long. I’ll bold for where it’s placed. Maybe that will help.

INT. MAIN SCREEN - DAY
@zoom reset
@cut to zone 1
@overlay PINK BUTTON create
&ui CUSTOMIZATION create from PINK BUTTON AND overlay CUSTOMIZATION shifts to 82 316
&ui FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS create from PINK BUTTON AND overlay FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS shifts to 85 218
&ui SUBTITLES ONOFF create from PINK BUTTON AND overlay SUBTITLES ONOFF shifts to 83 120
&ui NEXT EPISODE create from PINK BUTTON AND overlay NEXT EPISODE shifts to 82 24

label main_menu
tappable
“CUSTOMIZATION”{
goto Customization

}“FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS”{
goto Frequently_Asked_Questions

}“SUBTITLES ONOFF”{
goto Subtitles

}“NEXT EPISODE”{
goto episode_2
}

INT. CUSTOM - DAY

label Customization

tappable
“YOU (MC)”{
goto customize_me

}“LOVE INTERESTS”{
goto label boy_custom_1

}“MAIN MENU”{
goto main_menu
}

INT. SPARKLES - DAY
label customize_me
Customization

INT. SPARKLES - DAY
label boy_custom_1
Customization

label Frequently_Asked_Questions
NARRATOR
Leave questions in my fanmail or leave me a dm in my messages on Instagram @kait_even.
I’ll update the frequently asked questions page once I start having common questions.

EXT. SUBTITLES - DAY
@cut to zone 1
@zoom reset
label Subtitles
@speechbubble is 160 276 to 0%
NARRATOR
Would you like subtitles for sound effects?
choice
“Turn subtitles on”{
goto subs
}
“Turn subtitles off”{
goto subs
}

###

if (SUBS =0){
@SUBS =1
NARRATOR
Subtitles are now on.
goto main_menu
}
else{

@SUBS =0
NARRATOR
Subtitles are now off.
goto main_menu
}

label episode_2
NARRATOR
Playing episode 2.
goto episode_2

You need to add a line of dialogue before the word “tappable”. Example:

Do I need a line of dialogue between each one?

Using tappables is almost the same as using a regular choice, in that you need to have a line of dialogue before each choice/tappable. There’s a better guide on it here A Basic Guide to Tappable Overlays

Hm, well when I try to place dialogue in between it has the error of it can’t be between the branch.

You’re only putting it on the line before the word “tappable”, right?

Yeah, when I place the dialogue before the word tappable, it’s fine.

When I place the other dialogue’s it comes up with errors.

Also when I place the dialogue there, it doesn’t pop up on the page I’d like it to. All the dialogue just pops up after each other on the main menu :thinking:

I’m not sure what you mean, but you only need dialogue before the word “tappable”

Only choices need dialogue before them. Tappables can be without dialogue.

1 Like

OK this might be total blindshot …

try to use @overlay comans instead of @ui …I am not sure if tappable work for ui command too.

You’re using ui for the create command but then you’re using overlay for the shift commands. You need to use all ui or use all overlay.

1 Like

Another thing …you create the buttons from one…that means the overlay is the same for all 4 buttons…but I see you have text there over each…thst means you have above them different overlays with text?

I don’t see it in ste script so I do not get how you put the text there…

but if you have overlay above the buttons .thay ill not be tappable becue tha are covered by the text overlay…you have to create the buttons WITH the text and upload them as separate overlays.

The button images with the text are part of the background. The tappable overlays are invisible and are placed over each button image

1 Like

Yeah, I haven’t thought bout this option. :smiley: Thank for explaining.

Really? Wow. Didn’t know that

1 Like

I gotcha, I changed it to &ui because it wasn’t working with overlay.

I thought changing them to &ui would help them work, but that isn’t the case either. The buttons still won’t go to their designated page. :confused:

Can you DM me the background and the overlay that you’re using so I can test it with your coding?

1 Like