Gem Choices Overkill?

Are the excessive gem choices on community stories starting to annoy anyone else or is it just me? I understand that authors want to get paid (?) for their stories but it’s honestly starting to ruin my experience on the app. I especially hate that now some authors are putting a gem choice to read a new chapter early, but when it’s time for the new chapter to be released normally, it still only shows the gem choice. I literally just came from the app to rant about this lol I’m so annoyed

28 Likes

Well since the gem choices effect the rankings, it makes sense why people are adding them. Some just want to get their story out there if you don’t have them you most likely will not make the rankings and some people rely on the funds from episode as money is tight.

8 Likes

I understand that, but for the instance I was referring to it was annoying. I like to come on the app and read good stories; not be told I can’t read unless I pay for it. Just like money may be tight for the author, money could also be tight for the reader.

18 Likes

Yeah, I agree. It really depends what the author uses it for.

4 Likes

i totally agree with u its just so annoying i read the stories that are not bought by episode bc they dont have gem choices so i can do whatever the fuck i want and while not caring about the gems
but the support author gem choices are normal to me

6 Likes

Yes!! They need to add ways to earn gem choices other than reading Episode stories because I’m not reading their stories and I’m not buying gems but I want to support my favourite authors still.

I don’t blame the authors for adding them but it’s kinda annoying because it helps you rank higher so now if you don’t add them you have less chance :confused:

7 Likes

I agree, I understand why authors would add it. It’s episode that are the ones that should be blamed. Everyone I know did not want this but then they do it anyway and say that authors wanted it. :unamused: We all understand that episode want to make money but they surely have more readers than ever since most people are stuck at home. Now they will be losing those readers.

5 Likes

Exactly and then gems will just be put into every story so they can rank higher which makes sense but I know a lot of people don’t want to buy gems.

Plus if I spend gems in a story they’re usually in multiple episodes so I’ll just run out of gems so quickly and then feel like I’m missing cool stuff.

5 Likes

That’s why I never spend my gems on episode featured stories, I have lots gems but I don’t want to spend them. Now episode puts it into community stories to make you feel more guilty. They already do that by making your friends and LI hate you if you don’t spend the gems. So yes there is a problem with the gems but it is on episode.

6 Likes

Very true. Plus I think that choices for 15 gems is way too much, I can’t think of a scenario where I’d use 15 gems (especially since I only have 12 lol) on a story.

3 Likes

I agree! Ever since the new gem ranking thing came out almost every story I’ve read has the support the author choice, which isn’t bad but some don’t even bother to adjust the price to sm affordable which annoys me. I have like 130 but I worked hard for those and I would love to support the author but 15 gems for everyone is a lot

7 Likes

@Maeverie.Rivera @WinterMoon05

15 gems is the default price, so it’s more than likely that the author already had the gems choices included but haven’t went back and set a price yet. Because prior to all these updates, gem price was based on the authors number of story reads.
2 of my stories contain support the author choices and they were showing up as 15 :gem: as well until I edited and updated. :slightly_smiling_face:

The prices each author can choose to input is 5, 8, 12, 17, 22, 28 and 35 :gem:
So since 15 gems isn’t an option, it’s safe to assume that they just haven’t added an actual price to their choices. :two_hearts:

4 Likes

That’s so stupid. Gem choices shouldn’t have to determine a story’s ranking on the shelf! And I’ve said this a few times before, but I swear, I must be the only one on Earth who hates “Support the author” gem choices. They ruin everything for me and they’re the most useless gem choice of them all.

15 Likes

I can agree, I told myself not to add gem choices even if it doesn’t get anywhere. I don’t really care about gems or reads I just hope someone finds my story and likes it. My purpose for writing an episode story is because I just want to write and because I dearly enjoy it. For my new story I didn’t add any gem choices, but people were telling me I should because they really liked it. So I’m kind of torn.

11 Likes

Definitely makes sense. I haven’t added gem choices for my first story since I haven’t updated so it just says 15 gems.

I agree 100% considering most of the people that read episode stories are younger or don’t have money to spend on gems. Big episode authors are overloading gem choices read now and pay 8 gems or wait a week. Especially with covid going around money Is tight for almost everyone at the moment. Episode is just not the same if I have to wait a week in that week I might not want to read the story at all.

4 Likes

Yep! I updated 34 episodes total to change the price to just 5 because 15 as a default is absurd to me. I wish it would’ve stayed based on read count, but it is what it is.

3 Likes

OMG I thought that was only me!! I really think they’re annoying but I mean I guess that’s a way to fit it in

1 Like

Off topic, but is it your birthday today? 'Cause if so, happy birthday! :partying_face:

1 Like

That’s where I’m at now. It’s starting to turn me off as a reader.

I wish they would’ve left the gem choices in the featured stories instead of bringing them to the community smh.

5 Likes