Gems - So Not Necessary

Is it just me or are the gems just ridiculously high and just annoying in general. I think Episode needs to go back to the way they rank stories because it’s annoying have to purchase gems because you can’t see a part or have to pay for the wardrobe. It’s ridiculous

18 Likes

Unfortunately it’s only going to get worse because they’re greedy. They’ve slowly up’d the amount of gems per choice since the start to now 29 gems a choice. It’s gross.

20 Likes

You could always ask people for recommendations of stories that either don’t use gems at all or don’t lock outfits and story content behind gem paywalls. Episode isn’t about to change the way they do things, so that’s probably your best bet.

7 Likes

Yes, it definitely is.

2 Likes

I try to search for those stories and read those because I know Episode won’t change their policies. However, it is still really sad to me. Like I don’t mind them for the bonus scenes or if its to support the author, but when its to view an art scene that I would normally have for free, that’s crazy. I get that some authors were forced to do it because of ranking, but it still sucks.

7 Likes

While I do hate gem choices, they’ve actually been getting smaller. The newer stories gem choices have actually been smaller compared to older stories. I’ve been “reading” episode originals for gems and tor fill the streak every day, and the gems are typically 30+ and other outrageous numbers, while the newer stories go as high as 29 like you said (and from experience) so the gem numbers have actually gotten better (not by much though).

7 Likes

I don’t really read on the app anymore. They took away the old vip offer (pass free reading, x amount of gems or whatever) that was “a promotion” that shifts between user groups that was like 15$/ month, I stopped messing with the app altogether out of annoyance and now barely get on it unless someone asks for a review/beta read. lol

I didn’t mind paying 15$ a month to read unlimited amounts of stories but I’m not paying 39.99 for 35 passes and 100$ for 59 gems. (made up numbers but the example is valid :joy: ) I think I find it less annoying to see gem choices in community stories because they generally really count toward the story moving forward…

Episode is like " They think youre hot and want to offer you a immediate contract with the worlds top modeling agency!" 29 gems or " Stay a homeless bum on the streets of NY where your only option is waitress or stripper “free”. They’re always super shallow/unimportant/unhelpful or just plain ridiculous. Like, seriously, why do I need to pay gems to take up for myself? Or to wear an event appropriate outfit?

I attempted yet again to read an “original” and I think it was called Player or something? Anywho, tell me why I would pay gems to wear an interview appropriate outfit? Like, what adult in the world goes “hm, sweats I’ve worn all day OR an outfit that is stylish and sophisticated to get this job that I really need…” I pick sweats, yolo! I X’d the app again. Won’t ever spend the amount of money necessary to have a “good” experience with their stories.

12 Likes

I get you. It is ridiculous.

5 Likes

Just to clarify just in case, I’ve recently been “reading” episode originals by Episode Official.

3 Likes

This is the reason why I stopped reading Episode Originals, but still read community stories. In community stories you also have reasonable choices for free.
I totally hate choices (in Episode Originals) like ‘Slap the mean girl and make out with your LI’ for 29 gems or run away crying for free. Or go to the ball in a pretty dress for 29 gems or go to the ball in your pajamas. :woman_facepalming:

8 Likes

It’s interesting to see that other very well known interactive story apps manage to be successful without having to let the reader feel like complete garbage. You can play their stories without spending gems and still get a decent ending. The free outfit choices might not be as pretty as the gem outfit choices but they also don’t look like you’re wearing your grannie’s old night gown. Shouldn’t reading interactive stories be fun? Other apps manage to keep their stories entertaining and you only pay for a little extra entertainment. Why is this not possible for Episode?

9 Likes

They could care less about their readers experience. That’s why all of their gem choices are outfits and the fun/relationship building choice and the free is embarrassing/ not fun/ makes the “character” feel awkward or gives them a negative vibe/feeling about choosing a free option instead of spending money on their app. >>> essentially preying on the insecurities that young impressionable readers have and forcing them to spend gems just to have a good experience with their Original stories ( stories which are the only way to earn gems, convenient.)

9 Likes

It’s totally possible, but Episode has chosen the manipulative route. They know their audience tends to skew younger and female. They also know that shaming can be quite effective against that age group. So instead of just having a less great thing happen for the free choice, they want to make sure the reader feels bad and punished for not choosing the gem choice. That way there’s more of a chance they may try to get some gems for the choices in the future to avoid being made to feel bad. This is made doubly effective by the fact that Episode Originals are all “you” stories. You’re meant to be the MC in the story, so if you were constantly getting shamed wouldn’t you do your best to avoid it? They basically took the playbook Meta wrote and ran with it. :unamused:

6 Likes

Hmm, yea. I understand what they’re trying to do. I’ve tried out a bunch of interactive story apps by now but honestly I’d rather spend gems on a story that makes me feel good as a reader. Even if I choose the free option. Personally I only write on Episode now and only read community stories which oftentimes deserve the gems a lot more.

6 Likes

I just think it’s sad. Not everyone has the money to buy gems and even the community stories have gems. Not as high as 29, but a story that I’m reading asks for gems for outfits, art scenes and some other bonus scenes and just even when you want to make an easy choice. By the time you are done adding it up, you’ve spent quite a bit.

3 Likes

I 100% agree with everything you said. I don’t get why they don’t offer the membership for $15 per month for unlimited reads and for a certain amount of gems.

1 Like

Yeah it’s just ridiculous. You would think the people who run the app would read the complaints and do something. But nope, I feel like I just get a generic response.

2 Likes

Exactly. They need to reach out to the people who do those apps and get some guidance.

1 Like

Oh I don’t pay for the gems, I just spam read official stories to get gems. I’ll never pay for them (at least at the current moment lol).

1 Like

I made a parody of a gem choice in the latest episode of my story. The MC is one gem short of getting the dress she wants and goes ballistic.
Well, I thought it was funny… and I hope the two other people who read that episode thought it was funny too. :rofl::sweat_smile::flushed::sob:

5 Likes