Good representation

(sorry for grammar mistakes, english isn’t my first language)
I’m writing a story (it takes place in North-America) about a girl and her best friend (and only love interest), who’s black. She’s a talented painter, artistic, a bit shy and a bit insecure about her body in the beginning of the story. She also has a very colorful, artistic style.
I want to make an accurate representation. What should I do and shouldn’t do? For example, what are some cliches to avoid?

1 Like

I suggest being more specific and asking someone within that racial group? Like if they’re Jamaican then maybe ask advice from someone who’s from there? There’s not much I can say other then to do that.

2 Likes

The best thing you can do is do your research, and ask a black friend if you have one. If you don’t have one, that’s okay too! There are many people on the forums here who’d love to help you represent black people correctly :slight_smile:

I’m Asian, so something tells me that I won’t be much help, but I wish you luck.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.