Guide: How to create customization templates/ use more easily already made templates

Some of you may already know how, but I’m sure there are some new people who wonder how to make your own customization template if it’s big or small, that you could get what you want in it.

First, you need to know how to change characters’ face+ hair parts.

Full list:

skin tone:

@CHARACTER changes bodyColor into feature’s name

hair:

@CHARACTER changes hair into feature’s name

hair color:

@CHARACTER changes hairColor into feature’s name

eyes:

@CHARACTER changes eyes into feature’s name

eyes color:

@CHARACTER changes eyesColor into feature’s name

eyebrows:

@CHARACTER changes eyebrows into feature’s name

eyebrows color (only exist in Limelight, not Ink):

@CHARACTER changes eyebrowsColor into feature’s name

nose:

@CHARACTER changes nose into feature’s name

mouth:

@CHARACTER changes mouth into feature’s name

mouth color:

@CHARACTER changes mouthColor into feature’s name

face:

@CHARACTER changes face into feature’s name

for the actual template and for choosing features, you’ll have to use choices, goto’s and labels.

start with making the “main menu” with 1 choice and whatever you’d like to get in the template and write the beginning label at the top (since it’s a choice, you always need some kind of dialogue before it)

Example:

label avatar_0

NARRATOR
Dialogue.

choice “Skin Tone” {

} “Hair” {

} “Eyes” {

} “Eyebrows” {

} “Face Shape”{

} “Nose” {

} “Mouth” {

} “This is perfect!” {

}

Get in each bracket the goto’s to get in every section.

Example:

choice “Skin Tone” {

goto body_0

} “Hair” {

goto hair_0

} “Eyes” {

goto eyes_0

} “Eyebrows” {

goto eyebrows_0

} “Face Shape”{

goto face_0

} “Nose” {

goto nose_0

} “Mouth” {

goto mouth_0

} “This is perfect!” {

goto avatar_end

}

*You can name your goto’s/ labels however you want, just make them match.

after that, make a label to the first thing you wrote.

For example, if you wrote “Skin Tone” write the option’s label first, and so on for the rest of them, one after one.

Make 1 line of dialogue and a choice.
Basically, this is how you make a few options for some feature:

(Ink female hair example)

label hair

NARRATOR
Choose your character’s hair.

choice “Straight” {

@CHARACTER changes hair into Straight

goto hair

} “Long Curly” {

@CHARACTER changes hair into Long Curly Hair

goto hair

} This Looks Good! {

goto avatar_start

}

Just the principal, you can add as many options as you want, and name your goto’s/ labels however you’d like.

You can add an animation for the character like this:

label hair

&CHARACTER starts animation

NARRATOR
Choose your character’s hair.

choice “Straight” {

If you want to make a choice to change a color, add an option that says some thing like “Change Color” and add a goto in it and make a label and start a new choice after the one when you gave the option “Change Color” and add it in there exactly the same just with a color change.

In the end of the template, add a label for the end and write a matching goto at the beginning where you write “This Is Perfect”.

At the end of each choice, make an option that will bring people back to the “main menu” (will have a goto to the starting label. If the label is called “label avatar_0” the goto will be called “goto avatar_0”)

I highly recommend you’ll make some option darker/ golden, this is how you do it:

Gold:

Write PREMIUM before the option you want to be golden inside <> (the new forums don’t support it from some reason, if you write PREMIUM inside <> it deletes it…)

Darker:

The same like gold, but with GREEN (instead of PREMIUM) before the option, write GREEN inside <> and the option will become darker.

If you want to use somebody’s else template (any kind of) you always need to change the characters’ names, so there’s an easy way to do it.

1. highlight the character’s name.

2. Press control+ H and a small window is gonna pop up in the top right of the script with the character’'s name.

3. Under that, there’s a place to write something, write your character’s name.

4. choose “all”.

5. Just replace the template’s character’s name with yours and it will work.

Note: press control+ H not control+ F.
control+ F just deletes and control+ H allows you to replace the name with another name.

I hope this is helpful, if I (unawarely) wasn’t clear about something, or you want to know more, tell me!

8 Likes

Hi, do you know how to code the variable of the customization? Like, if a reader customizes their character at the beginning of the story, how do I code it to use their name above the little speech bubble? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

The code for name picking (type in kind) is this:

input What’s your first name?| What’s your first name?| Done (NAME)

But where I wrote “NAME” in the end, you can write your character’s name and when the readers pick a name it changes the name in the speech bubble to what the readers chose.

Okay, so for example, I called my MC “YOU” for the purpose of the script. So, I would type: input What’s Your First Name?|What’s Your First Name?|Done(YOU)

???
Is this correct?

I figured it out! THANK YOU SO MUCH