Guide: How to make your story NOT suck

Ok, I get it, writing a story is hard. One minute you have this random burst of motivation and you write an episode, what now? You didn’t think that through and now you have writer’s block.
Trust me, honey, the struggle is real
If you can relate, then you need to turn that frown upside down because I have the perfect solution for you

How to make a good story

Step one
This is actually coming up with an idea for the story and how you’re going to write it

Ideas

Let’s say you want to write a story, but you don’t have any ideas for it. Don’t worry, there are tons of places to get ideas.
One of my favorite ways to get inspired is to listen to songs. And for the love of God, please understand the likelihood of getting any ideas from raps or songs that everyone listens to is loooooooooow
When you’re listening to songs, listen to songs that tell a story, they usually aren’t too popular so it’s hard to find them, but if you come across one, listen to it.
Another way is reading a book
I know it’s hard if you don’t like books, but just try to get through the first chapter. Who knows, you might just end up liking it. Oh and here’s the thing sighs when I say books I do NOT mean twilight books because they are cliches and no one likes cliches
Last but not least
This is the most fun way to come up with an idea
Watch a show or a movie
Don’t copy it, get ideas from it
You can also read episode stories, but there are a lot of overused cliches so I doubt you’re going to find any fresh ideas.

Planning

I know you probably are facepalming right now
It’s not fun to do. But it’s better in the long run to plan a story.
Now I’m not telling you to plan the entire story because that can be a pain if you plan on making a lot of chapters
Plan each episode, then write.
This will help you a bunch, “a little bit of pain is worth a lifetime of pleasure”

This topic might help you out more
here’s a topic that will help with this

Step two
Preparing to write

Title

Titles are the most important part
They’re what gets your reader to click on the story
Your plot is what makes them stay
*DO NOT make the titles cliche, and DO NOT make them a big spoiler
Cliche/Spoiler titles
Pregnant by _____
(This is cliche as hell, and now the readers already now that the MC is going to end up pregnant)
Falling for the/In love with the ______
(Also cliche, And now we know who the MC is falling for)
From Unpopular to Popular
(Honestly, these are just eww, SUPER cliche, and we know the MC is going to change. Just… Don’t)
cringe
Actually good titles leave a mystery to the story, they are typically short and doesn’t give away anything

Some examples
Shroud (is a good summary of an important object in the story, doesn’t give away much)
Burning Desire (Summarizes the 2 characters feelings, but doesn’t talk about the characters)

Description

The description should be like a trailer for a movie, the trailer makes you excited to see the movie
So for a description, try to summarize your story without giving too much away
Mystery is always good

Usually putting cliffhanger questions at the end is a turn off unless you can do it really well for me

Eg
Let’s say your story is about a girl with trust issues falling in love with a bad boy (because that’s not overused at all

Heres what I think a good description would be

You’ve learned from an early age that trusting makes you weak, yet for some reason, your heart can’t stop trusting the most untrustworthy person you’ve met

(yes I know that was a horrible description but i’ve been working on this for 30 minutes and i dont have any creativity left)

Characters

You can’t write a story without characters!
So it’s good to make your story have good characters
Usually, there is one main character which the character controls
A few more important characters who are crucial to the story, some being a love interest (if you have any)
One of them is usually the best friend, and one of them is the one no one likes
This isn’t always the case, your characters should be however you want them to be.
But there are some ways to make your characters better

14 Things to Give Your Character

1. GIVE THEM A GOAL .

Your character’s story goal serves as the basis of their journey, helping you plot your story with clarity and purpose.

1. GIVE THEM A MOTIVATION .

Knowing the reason why a character chooses to pursue their goal helps readers invest in their journey, making for a captivating read.

1. GIVE THEM PURPOSE .

If a character doesn’t in some way shape the plot or round out your protagonist’s world, they don’t add value to your story. Give them purpose, or let them go.

1. GIVE THEM A FEAR .

Fear shapes the human experience, creating doubts and insecurities that plague our actions, mindsets, and relationships. Add a little necessary realism to your story by giving your character a few fears as well.

1. GIVE THEM A FLAW .

To be imperfect is to be human. Write a human story by giving your character personality flaws that play into their relationships, fears, disappointments, and discontent.

1. GIVE THEM A HISTORY .

Our pasts shape who we become. Give your character a rich history that affects both the person they are when your story begins and how they will handle the journey to come.

1. GIVE THEM A PRESENT STORY .

Don’t drown your readers in the backstory. Give your character a present-day quest or journey that will keep readers invested.

1. GIVE THEM A PERSONALITY .

Don’t let your character fall flat. Take time to craft for them a rich personality that will affect their words, actions, relationships, and worldview.

1. GIVE THEM INTERESTS .

It’s exciting to meet new people who share our interests or to listen to someone talk fervently about their passion. Gift your readers this same experience by giving your character a few interests, too.

1. GIVE THEM A QUIRK .

Everyone has their strange qualities or habits, and often times, being a bit strange is just as exciting or memorable as being passionate. Help your character stand out from the crowd by giving them a quirk or two of their own.

1. GIVE THEM A NAME .

Showcase a time period, reveal a little about their ancestry, create a naming system for your fictional world… There are plenty of ways to give your character’s name added purpose and power.

1. GIVE THEM A DESIRE .

Desires are powerful motivators. They can push your character to great deeds just as quickly as they can tempt them to take action they’ll regret.

1. GIVE THEM A LOVE .

Love is joy, hope, and possibility. Defining who or what your character loves can reveal far more than simply what gets them out of bed in the morning.

1. GIVE THEM AGENCY.

Power comes in all shapes and sizes. Give your character the ability to have or discover their own personal agency, so they can voice their truth and take action to change their world.

6 Things to Make Your Character

1. MAKE THEM COMPLEX .

Don’t stop at simply creating a well-developed character. Actively work to bring your character’s complexities to life on the page by putting them in as many diverse situations as possible.

1. MAKE THEM UNIQUE .

It’s easy to fall into stereotypes and worn-out character tropes, but don’t give in. Work instead to create characters unique to your story, ones that readers will instantly recognize as your own.

1. MAKE THEM RELATABLE .

To relate is to create a connection, to see others as just as human as you are. Making even the evilest of characters relatable in some small way can give your character some much-needed humanity.

1. MAKE THEM FAIL .

Failure is a springboard to growth. Allowing your character to fail gives them the opportunity to learn from their mistakes and develop as human beings, creating excellent internal conflict for your story.

1. MAKE THEM SUFFER .

Take your character from the highest heights to the lowest depths. By allowing your character to suffer, you prove their mettle, endear readers to their cause, and define their growth as a result of their journey.

1. MAKE THEM SWEAT .

Don’t hand your character success on a silver platter. Create page-turning conflict that will keep readers reading by making your character put in the blood, sweat, and tears needed to achieve their goal.

13 Things to Find For Your Character

1. FIND THEIR IDENTITY .

Understanding how your character defines themselves in life can help you better understand how they interact with and present themselves to the world. When defining your character’s identity, consider elements such as their gender identity, race, sexuality, religion, ancestry, and interests.

1. FIND THEIR PERSPECTIVE .

Perspective is the lens through which we see the world. Explore your character’s upbringing, religious and political beliefs, education, social influences, and relationships to better understand their personal perspective.

1. FIND THEIR TYPE .

Who does your character gravitate toward when seeking friendships, romance, or guidance? Consider whether such relationships are truly healthy and fulfilling, as well as why your character gravitates toward such people in the first place.

1. FIND THEIR LANGUAGE .

Give your character a voice. Take the time to define their unique speech patterns, vocabulary, and accent by considering how, when, and where they were raised, as well as their personality, experiences, and level of education.

1. FIND THEIR ATTITUDE .

Is your character optimistic, pessimistic, or realistic? Defining your character’s everyday attitude can help you better understand how they see the world, as well as how the conflicts they face throughout their journey will affect them.

1. FIND THEIR HAPPY PLACE .

Where is your character happiest? When do they feel most loved and accepted? Showcasing your character at their best can make their worst moments all the more impactful.

1. FIND THEIR SUPPORT .

Help your character whether your story’s conflicts by giving them relationships with loved ones. Allow these characters to guide, encourage, and challenge them throughout their journey.

1. FIND THEIR GUT .

Your character’s gut feelings can say a lot about who they are, while also add nail-biting tension to your story that foreshadows dangers to come. Take advantage!

1. FIND THEIR BANE .

Everyone has their breaking point. Showing readers what it takes to push your character to this point will make your character’s journey all the more momentous.

1. FIND THEIR REFUGE .

When all seems lost, a safe haven can keep hope alive for your character. Allow your character to find this refuge when they most need it, so they can receive the respite they need to recharge for your story’s climax.

1. FIND THEIR REDEMPTION .

Your character will screw up. They will make decisions that harm themselves or others. They will fail. It’s how they make things right that will define who they are at heart.

1. **FIND THEIR GLORY **.

Your character’s journey will shape the person they become. If they’ve changed for the better, allow readers to see how their development was worth the fight.

1. FIND THEIR STORY .
    What you truly need to make your character shine is their story .

Who are they when your story begins? What shaped them into that person, and what launches them into the journey that will forever change their world? What mistakes will they make in their journey? What trials will they face, and how will these trials affect who they are?
What is their fight? What do they strive for? Who helps them out along the way, and how will they overcome? And, most importantly, who do they become because of it all?
That writer is your character’s story. That is your character. Not 32 individual statements, but one incredible story of was and is and will become . That is what makes your character strong.

Pre-writing

Ok this is pretty important
Before you start writing, learn how to code!
If you want to make people read your story, You have to go the extra mile
That means you need to use advanced zooms, spot directing, advanced choices, overlays, backgrounds, sounds, and so many more
And the bar is pretty high for the directing, some authors (myself included) use animated intros, which require a lot of advanced directing
You can find help here in the forums (you can ask me for help if you want)
There are many youtube videos to help you
you can use this website
And there are tutorials on the portal and the mobile app

Step three
Time to actually write

Writing and coding

Now its time to bring your story to life!
After you planned your story, made the characters, and learned the actual coding!
You are prepared to write!
When you’re writing, always check your story
If you don’t, you will end up with errors and the overall quality of your story will be mediocre
Check every choice, every gain, and every possible outcome

How to make a terrible story

Step one
coming up with it

Ideas

Read one of the stories on the featured shelf and copy it
But remember to change the name and looks of the character!

Planning

No planning required!
Just copy a story

Step two
Preparing to write

Title

Just use this

Pregnant by Gang leader/ serial killer/ kidnapper/ teacher/ bad boy/ golden boy/ jock/ step brother/ step father
Falling for Gang leader/ serial killer/ kidnapper/ teacher/ bad boy/ golden boy/ jock/ step brother/ step father

Description

The best way to get a good description is to go to the featured shelf and copy one of the descriptions and tweak it a bit

Something like this

After your best friend turned into the popular girl and forgot about you, you became the school loser. But what happens when you catch the eye of the school bad boy?

Characters

Just keep the default characters and change up the hair and eye and BOOM
IMPORTANT
Make sure the mean girl (there has to be a mean girl)
Has blond hair and blue eyes and always wears the pink fashionista dress

Pre-writing

Just figure out the basics becuase you won’t be using zooms or spot directing

Step three
Actually writing

Coding

Just write whatever you want, try to be funny but don’t actually be funny

Here is a guide for writing cliches

11 Likes

Wow this is so helpful! Would you be willing to take a look at what I have so I stay on a good track?

Of course! :blush:

I really need to follow my own advice …

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.