[GUIDE] How to write twin characters?

I thought it could be nice to create this thread in case you are thinking about writing twin characters, but don’t know where to start.

DISCLAIMER: I have a twin myself, and know several others, so most of what I will be writing will me from my experience, but in no way is this the universal truth. If you have a twin and feel like adding nuance to anything I said, feel free to do so!

Type of twins

I’ll explain the different types of twins there are wiithout getting too technical.

Identical/monozygotic twins
This happens when the fertilised egg divides in two. Since it’s the same egg, the sex of the twins will be the same. They have the same genetic characteristic, and thus look alike (there can be exceptions ofc).

Fraternal or ‘dizygotic’ twins
This happens when there are two fertilised egg. Since it’s two different eggs, you could get two babies with the same sex, or with a different sex. They might not be 100% identical since they don’t share 100% of their genetic characteristics.

Writing twins.
It’s more about the “life” of a twin rather than actual writing advice since you’ll be the one creating the character. It’s just a few things to keep in mind :slight_smile:

Don't
  • Not making any effort to recognize them. Just because you have a twin does not mean you will be a copy-paste of each other. There is always something that differs from one another. Some twins really look alike, and it might be difficult to differentiate them, but pay attention that any detail that helps you recognize them. They will appreciate it, trust me. There is nothing worse than people being like « omg I’m sorry I don’t know which is which » when sometimes you don’t even look * that * alike. Next point, I think I speak for everyone when I say that twins hate when people recognize you UNTIL you tell them that you and your other sibling are twins. Suddenly, blindness hit them and they’re confused about which is which. Like b*tch you could recognize me before and now you can’t? :expressionless: :upside_down_face: (personal pet peeve of mine :joy:)

• Twins do not necessarily look alike. This is an extension of the previous point, but one could have blond hair, and the second could have chestnut. Just like other siblings, you may not look alike. I know twins who are 99,999% alike but I’m not sure if it’s a common thing.

• Do NOT make people call them « twins ». Maybe this is a personal one, but I hate when people are just like « Hey twins, how are you? » Who is twin, I don’t know her, this isn’t my name. Twin people are two different people, so please address them as such.
    i-dont-know-her-29526644

• Twins don’t necessarily have the same personality . When you think about it in the most simple way, twins are just brothers/sisters born on the same day. So they may not agree on everything nor share the same taste in music/clothes. Think of them as two separate people, like you would write two different people.

• Make a big deal out of it (1) . I get that for some people it might seem like a big deal, but since it’s our reality, it might not seem like a big deal (do you get what I mean?) . There’s no harm when people ask « omg you have a twin? That’s so cool, I’ve always wanted to have one », but avoid making people making big deal out if it, it can be annoying.

• Make a big deal out of it (2). This time from the twins’ POV. I cannot speak for everyone on this, but not all twins want the entire universe to know that they’re twins. Some may wear the same clothes, and create instagram accounts about being twins. Others might not. So it’s really up to the character you’re creating.

• There is no such things as telepathy between twins. I mean it has happened that I was thinking about the same thing as my twin, or wanted to say the same sentence, but that has happened with other people too.

Do
  • Make some research? I’m not sure there are a lot of data out here about having a twin, but if you ever need more information, the internet will probably be helpful. I can also help, so don’t hesitate to hit me up, I’ll gladly help!

Sooo much don’t and only one do lol. I didn’t know what else to put in here. I’ll add things if I think about something else.

Dynamics

Between twins
I think this will really depend on the person, but from what I’ve noticed there is always the same dynamics between twins. One will always be the bigger brother/sister, and calmer than the other one. So they will often calm them down when needed, or be the one the other goes to when needing advice. I don’t know what it is, but there is always one with a short temper lol.

I have never seen twins who hate each other, now this might not be the truth but I’ve just never witnessed it. They might not get along that well, but I’ve never seen twins hate each other’s gut (except in films because :sparkles:drama​:sparkles: ).

With other siblings
Having a twin is definitely different than having a sibling, but I wouldn’t know how to explain it. But that doesn’t mean that I love my twin more than my other siblings, it’s just different .

If something comes up, I’ll probably more likely to talk about it to my twin before telling my other siblings (depending on the matter of course).

Note: like I said before, this is from my own experience, so this is definitely not set in stone. Feel free to create a character that you like without having to worry about this too much. This is just a « guide » to help! If you have any question, ask below :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

24 Likes

Bump if you found it useful! :heartpulse:

Thank you so much!

1 Like

No problem!

1 Like

Bump! (:

1 Like

Omgg thank you!! I needed this :joy: :joy: :heart:

1 Like

Glad it can helpful :relaxed::heartpulse:

1 Like

Thank you!!! This is so useful

1 Like

Thanks for the thread! :relaxed:

(?) Also thought it might be worth adding to your thread the different types of twins for people that don’t know:
identical (from single egg, same father), fraternal (homopaternal - different eggs, same father), superfecundation twins (heteropaternal - different eggs, different fathers).

4 Likes

Bump

1 Like

No problem :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Great idea! I’ll add that :grin:

1 Like

Just added a brief explanation of the different types of twins as suggested by @/schittwriter :slight_smile:

1 Like

bump

Are you an identical twin?

No, I’m a fraternal twin :relaxed:

Oh, okay. I had a query for identical twins so I’m not sure what applicable question to ask at the moment, but I’m sure something will come to me.

1 Like

bump