HAIR : Black cultural hair styles

Black people wanting more hairstyles and accurate representation is saying we’re superior? Also living in a place doesn’t mean anything. There are plenty of racists in Africa. Also you’re comparing black people wanting accurate representation to being attacked…but we’re going “over the top”? And if you don’t want an argument, then how about you stop wasting my time by making me read your replies?

10 Likes

Racism is systematic. It’s systematic oppression not just the few interactions you’ve decided to take notice of. But whatever, you can learn that on your own time. I’m not the one.

9 Likes

I feel you
There needs to be African clothing.
I have not even seen one from any culture or country.

4 Likes

Hey, I know I’m s like two days late, anyway, I’m not here to argue with you on what you said but I will point out to things you said.
It might be different in Malaysia but, my parents are both native Nigerians and I’ve been there about 3 times. I can tell you in the cities not many people wear their traditional clothing but, I can tell you in the village, parents, and elders wear clothing that would be seen as traditional wrappers around their waist or belly. Teens, kids and young adults vary, ( usually almost never). We Nigerians don’t really call it “traditional” because it’s more like comfy wear.
We go over the top when its time for parties and weddings. In Chad, and other some and African countries and African countries, they do wear their natural hair. Even in the united states, so many black women and every black man wears their natural hair. I mean you call it going over the top with diversity.But, I mean like Africa as a whole has 1.2 billion people…:woman_shrugging:t5::woman_shrugging:t4::woman_shrugging:t3::woman_shrugging:t2: In Episode, I counted about 5-6 hairstyles for black women (like 13-15 other hairstyles). There are only 2 naturals, I wouldn’t call it going over the top. I can’t really speak for the Northern, Southern, and Eastern but, I can tell you I have not seen on clothing type on Episode for Africans. Even the stereotypical ones are not there. So we are not really going over the top. Also, I don’t know where you reside but where I am, I rarely see anyone with perms anymore. Yes many of us do wear wigs and other protectives in the winter. Everyone wears their natural hair from Spring-Fall. I hope you don’t take this as a rant or take me for being rude but I’m just making my own statement. Not really here to argue.

5 Likes

Sorry for the late reply, but I actually lived in the actual villages for a good portion of my younger life, and yes, it was the same, practically nobody wore the proper traditional malaysian clothing in day to day life. For parties, the ones that I’ve been to, they also wear more modern day clothing, the only instance I’ve actually seen them wearing the traditional clothes, is on a bus (when I was in one of the more popular cities to visit a friend), but they were Christians and on their way to a convention (I asked). I’m also not here to start any arguments, I’m just saying, that even if EPISODE makes traditional clothing, they are probably not going to be used because of the modern society that we live in nowadays. : )

Cheers,
R.

Hi! A reminder that suggestion threads are not discussion or general debate threads, if you’re interested in those sorts of conversations there are other parts of the forums reserved for that. Thanks! :v:t2:

8 Likes

Thank you ,for your wrong opinions.:laughing::triumph::triumph:

4 Likes

Can you please explain to me what my ‘wrong opinions’ are? It’s the same for all races, and it does happen. Some people do take these ‘issues’ to a whole new level, make them something they aren’t. Anyway, like I continuously keep saying, I’m all for some new hairstyles, I have nothing against the idea.

Also, sorry for the long reply wait, I was away from the computer.

Cheers,
R.

1 Like

Guys…

6 Likes

I support!! I want to USE black hair styles with my black characters, but I don’t want their hair to look So short, it would be cool to have longer black no offense to those who hair hair that shorter then it is! And other really nice afican-american hair styles, I am tired of seeing the ones we have now, and tbh I hardly ever use them. :confused:

6 Likes

I think the same why

I LOVE THESE SO MUCH!! I have been wanting the Afro Puffs FOREVER and I’m so glad someone else wants them too! I hope they get added to a future animation style and/or Limelight

6 Likes

Amazing idea! Support

1 Like

I’m not being rude but curly hair also belongs to us Mexicans too!

2 Likes

I agree!!

1 Like

I know it’s not the regular opinion in this thread, I suppose but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with using a traditionally black hairstyle on any sort of person.
While cultural appropriation can be a real thing (i.e. not respectfully celebrating a cultural holiday, or wearing one of those crappy Native American/Mexican/Viking/etc. costumes), wearing a hairstyle certainly isn’t part of that. Culture should be shared and embraced by all, whether it be pertaining to food, holidays, or hairstyles! c:

5 Likes

I don’t think that all black people are telling others not to use ‘their’ hairstyles. It’s a split opinion, much like other stuff in this world.
I think it’s kind of stupid for any culture to call something inherently theirs and nobody else can use it because it’s ‘theirs’. If that was the case, a lot of the industries we have today wouldn’t even exist.
… I mean, really, there’s nothing wrong with embracing someone’s culture if you do it in a respectful way.

3 Likes

IKR!!! Hair is for all damn races.

1 Like

Yep!

The point that you are kinda missing here is that there has been a history of other people taking aspects of other cultures and trivializing them and either: a) boiling them down to aesthetics, b) passing them off as their own original idea, c) shaming them for having said aspect in the first place, or d) stripping them of said aspect entirely and forcing them to assimilate to a different one against their will.

There are people that have been shamed for having this hair, because it doesn’t align with typical beauty standards that are deeply ingrained into society. There are people who have been fired from their jobs for wearing their hair in such protective styles, kids kicked out of school because of these styles—styles that help them maintain their specific hair type. There have been articles written about famous black women, even their children, shaming them or questioning whether or not it’s appropriate for them to wear their hair in these styles. It’s considered ‘ghetto,’ ‘unkempt,’ or ‘innapropriate.’ Yet when others wear them, it’s considered ‘trendy,’ ‘unique,’ ‘exotic,’ or ripe for parody that perpetuates harmful stereotypes.

To quote an article I read about the topic recently, ‘This is a real life, every day thing for countless Black women. To see characteristics hated on us in turn be lauded as fashionable when a White woman dons it is beyond upsetting. It is yet another testament of how Black women are societally seen as separate. […] When we as Black women decide to wear our hair unapologetically, we unsettle the status quo and all that is deemed normal. We non-verbally claim ownership to our creations and characteristics.

Our hair is discourse…a political and cultural signifier. It has stood violation. Black hair makes a revolutionary statement even when it is not the intention. It’s not just for fun.’

So yes, it’s not JUST hair.

I don’t wish to argue with you. That’s not the point of this post. I’m just trying to provide more context, so that you can understand where people are coming from.

Side note: No one is saying that ALL curly hair belongs to black people. Again, these styles were conceived to aid in the maintence of a specific type of curl, and the texture as a result of said curl seen primarily in black women.

Also, to stay on topic—I would love to see these hairstyles. :slight_smile:

15 Likes