Halloween/Dia de Muertos/ name your traditions!

Halloween is almost knocking the door!
Are you excited about it?
I wanted to share with you this… Halloween is an American tradition. :ghost:
In my country, theres things thing called “Dia de Muertos”. It’s a similar celebration but also very different. Halloween is about witches, werewolves, vampires and all that kind of stuff and it takes place on October 31.
Dia de Muertos takes place on November 1st and 2nd, and it’s a tradition from centuries ago. We cult the death people by putting them an ofrenda=a table with food, flowers, candles and their pictures. We believe that, on those days, people came from the death to eat and meet with the alives one. It’s really interesting. :two_hearts:

We eat pan de muerto

Also, we costume as catrinas, the whipping woman and other mexican legends.:ghost::ribbon:

What about your countries? What celebration take place? Do you celebrate death people? Do you make trick or treat?

2 Likes

halloween is my birthday. but we dont celebrate it in Denmark. we have something called fastalavn instead which is in march I made a forum about

1 Like

This Sunday we have Diwali/Bandi Chhor Divas coming up, going to be lighting divas at the gurdwara, it’s the celebration of the triumph of light over darkness, super excited + we get lots of sweets on this holiday lol :blob_hearts: And on Halloween, we’ll be handing out candy. Might watch horror flicks, too :jack_o_lantern:

2 Likes

Halloween isn’t a big thing, it’s mainly for children where I live. Your seen as childish if you celebrate Halloween when your over the age of 11. But it’s a very diverse place so it may vary but for me, Halloween is a child’s holiday. I’ve never really done the whole Halloween trick or treating.

1 Like

That’s what I do!

We do an ofrenda for my grandpa and uncle who passed away.

It really sounds interesting! This tradition where is from? It sounds like somewhere near China or Asia!
Am I wrong?

Omg! Where are u from? If you say in the U.S.A I thought it was the same all over the country

1 Like

I never thought I’d find someone with that tradition here!
Where are you from? :two_hearts::eyes:

1 Like

No I’m not from America sorry! I’m based in the UK (England)

1 Like

It’s a tradition that originates from India however as people have moved to new countries, the holiday is celebrated in these countries, too. So, I’m from Canada but the area that I live in is full of people who have origins from India (a majority) so a lot of us celebrate it. Even public transit buses have a “Happy Diwali” message on them and flyers showing discounts for stuff like sweets and milk.

2 Likes

That’s even interesting. I literally have a crush on England since I’m a fan of Victorian novels. Do you know if this tradition is celebrated since the Victorian era?

1 Like

Is it true that in Canada there are a lot of people from different countries? Like groups or something like that? (Dont think I want to offend you to something like that) I’ve hear that Canada is a multicultural country :two_hearts:

1 Like

Yep, it is :blob_hearts:

I don’t celebrate Halloween so like I don’t have any traditions but I did trick or treat when I was younger

1 Like

I’m from Texas but my parents are from Mexico

1 Like

Let me ask someone who’ll know!

ur crushes reality sorry for this:

I wouldn’t crush on us, England is a very dull and depressing place we may joke about it but it’s a serious problem. Mental health isn’t spoken about, there’s big movements to stop young children/ teenagers knife crime- basically it’s Hell right now. To finish this we don’t all have that posh accent…:pensive: #sadvibes anyways!

1 Like

Victorian England’s Halloween:
Halloween was celebrated with bonfires, and parades, with people dressing up as animals or wearing masks, to trick the wandering spirits. Food and a lit candle were also left on doorsteps to feed the visitors from the other side.

You can find a lot online, I haven’t studied Victorian times that much.

2 Likes

I’m sorry I didn’t know.

World Saddest Reality.
You know, somehow one used to think that only their country is going through difficult times but is kind of impressive and really sad that the entire world faces trouble. I mean, it depends on each country but at least in mine there are not a lot of international news, like, we barely have with our own issues. :pensive:

2 Likes

I have research but can you believe me when I say I haven’t found much information about the Victorian era?
Most of the text I found are from the middle of the era and I’m interested in the very beginning. When Queen Victoria recently started. The transition from Regency to Victorian

1 Like

Oh I can do some more research for you, she’s actually one of the world’s biggest drug dealers. She sold opiuim.

Sorry I’m off topic

1 Like