Happily ever after, bitter-sweet or sad endings?

Hi there,
I’m trying to figure out an ending for my story and was just wondering which type of ending people prefer. I probably won’t write a sad ending because when ever I read sad endings I always get really sad and annoyed :joy:. But, I am seriously contemplating on a happily ever after or a bitter-sweet. To be honest, bitter-sweets are more realistic than HEAs but I enjoy both.
So which ending do you prefer? Or maybe you like it to be left to the imagination? :thinking:

1 Like

I think it depends on the genre, and plot of the story.
Personally, if it’s a romance, where I’ve spent most of the story building up to being with the love interest, I’d like to see a happy ever after ending, unless the relationship isn’t one that will ultimately work, in which case, I don’t mind it being something where it’s left to the imagination.
I think bitter-sweet endings still come across more bitter to me than sweet lol. But ultimately, you as the writer know if this ending fits best.

I’m not a fan of sad endings, unless it’s some kind of thriller or horror where the genre has a great impact upon an ending like that.

6 Likes

All three for multiple endings based on choices.

1 Like

I mean don’t get me wrong we all want to see all our favourite characters having their happily ever after. It’s just that after a while it gets a bit old. That’s why sometimes when done well bittersweet or sad endings can be good. I personally prefer bitter sweet, where something sad does happen but the characters do move on and continue to live their lives. A good example of this could be the vampire diaries or the originals (can you tell what I’ve been binge-watching lol) In tvd Stefan dies but the rest of the characters although they are sad they move on and in to when Elijah and Klaus die at the end although that one is a lot more sad . Just plain sad does work in certain stories too. Honestly I like bittersweet or happily ever after (just not the very cliche they got married had kids and every problem ever was resolved not that I don’t wish for this sometimes it’s just nicer if it’s more unique and forward thinking or if you just resolve the major conflicts and leave it there like don’t look forward let us assume what happens in characters lives after this or hint at what will happen) the best so hopefully my post helped.

2 Likes

It depends. When it comes to writing, sad endings are my favorite to write and they’re also the ones I write better.
When it comes to reading I usually hate this typical getting married, pregnancy and 1092028282 children happy endings, but I don’t mind other types of happy ending. As a reader I love sad endings as well if they fit.

2 Likes

sad endings hit different

6 Likes

that’s so true lmao

2 Likes

Bittersweet, but more on the happy side!

1 Like

The sad ones, if written well. They can sometimes feel more real.

5 Likes

I often prefer bitter-sweet endings and imagine most of my endings like that. Happy endings are nice and in some stories can be really satisfying if you’ve gotten close to the character and they’ve been through a lot but in a lot of cases, I don’t find them realistic in the long run (if the happily ever after is cliche.)

2 Likes

Yes it did, Thanks :hugs: :smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I agree

1 Like

Very true, thanks :laughing:

I like happy endings because I have a hard time dealing with it otherwise :sweat_smile::sweat_smile: but I’ve also read plenty of sad or bittersweet endings that I didn’t mind as well. I think it just depends on your story and how your characters would actually react, and how well it’s written out, if questions/problems are resolved, etc.
For example, I don’t like “happy endings” where all the red flags from said guy disappeared and they live happily ever after, it doesn’t make sense.

In 2 of my stories, there’s multiple endings and I tried my best to vary them and think about how each of the characters would truly react in those situations, to make them as realistic as possible. And so there’s enough variety that everyone can (hopefully) get the ending they want.

3 Likes

Lol I agree with the first part, thanks. :joy:

1 Like

To be honest I think readers will be left satisfied with happily ever afters the most. After tons of tragedy, heartbreak and all that drama, I personally think it’s sweet and rewarding to see the characters finally tie the knot together in romance. Truthfully, if there’s a story that has a cliffhanger for season 2 or tragic/sad endings I’d most likely cry and it would be imprinted in my mind, over and over for the next few months d:

2 Likes