Happy 75th VE Day Anniversary!

I just thought I’d make a post on here so we can all mark the day that World War II ended in Europe. The war had wreaked havoc to millions of people and families, destroying many towns, cities and other settlements. Of course the war didn’t officially end until a few months later. But I thought it would be nice to mark the day the guns fell silent in Europe and as a proud Brit, I made this cake to mark the occasion :blush::uk::heart::cake:

9 Likes

we celebrated the libaration here in Denmark the 4 may, we celebrate that buy putting candle light in the windows, and then on 5 may, all the war alarms are been tested at 12,

1 Like

Really? That’s interesting how we celebrate on different days. I suppose its when each individual army withdrew their troops or something?

2 Likes

Over here, we’re all having afternoon tea street parties while socially distancing of course.

2 Likes

yeah it properly is. may 4 was the day Denmark was libirated from germany, the reason we put candels in the window is because Germnay had evryone put blackout curtains and on the libiration the danes took them down and burn them in the street

2 Likes

That’s nice, we all put flags and bunting up, play 40s music and some people are dressing in 40s clothes as well.

2 Likes

we dont do so much about it here, the candels and the alarms, and some tv programs about it, is that. some ofcourse do a bit more, like putting flowers at memorial

1 Like

There are loads of commemorative shows on today, they’re gonna be showing Winston Churchill’s speech shortly, Katherine Jenkins is doing a concert in an empty Royal Albert Hall and HM Queen Elizabeth II is doing an address to the nation tonight.

2 Likes

I think our queen hold a speech too, but I am not sure, I dont really watch tv

1 Like

I watch far too much, I like a lot of crime and fantasy shows from America like: Blindspot, NCIS, Criminal Minds, Legacies and True Blood. But my favourite show of all time is Doctor Who.

2 Likes

yeah I am mostly on youtube,

1 Like

Oh I watch YouTube too, I like a British group called the Sidemen, but during lockdown its hard to find something to occupy myself with so I’ve been doing a family tree. I even did a DNA kit, turns out I have Scandinavian blood in me, 37.2% of it to be exact :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh wow, I’m glad I wasn’t born around that time, but im glad im here now, and Happy Anniversary. Wars are scary…

1 Like

I agree, I’m glad I was born when I was, its meant that I’ve grown up without the threat of war looming, I can’t imagine what it must have been like.

1 Like

same…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.