Happy Juneteenth 2022

Happy Juneteenth to all African-Americans in the USA! :100: :heart: :black_heart: :green_heart: :fist:t2: :fist:t3: :fist:t4: :fist:t5: :fist:t6:

Quoting from @awkwardAF to also share info about Juneteenth since the thread was closed.

What is Juneteenth and why is it important?
Juneteenth is a holiday that not only celebrates the emancipation of African American enslaved people, but it is also celebrates African American culture. The name โ€œJuneteenthโ€ comes from June 19th, which is the day General Granger announced in Texas that slavery would no longer be allowed. Unfortunately though, not all slaves were freed immediately. Slavery did not truly end until the signing of the 13th Amendment , but the emancipation proclamation still played an important role in ending slavery, as that was when the government was finally beginning to take action against it.

How can I celebrate/Show my support?
Anyone can celebrate Juneteenth and there are many ways to celebrate it. Here are some ideas:

• Attend a Juneteenth event
  • Observe a Juneteenth gallery at a museum
  • Host a Juneteenth celebration
  • Educate yourself about Juneteenth with books and other resources
  • Simply acknowledge Juneteenth and spread awareness

Closing:

It is important to remember that the freedom of enslaved African Americans did not end racism. Racism still very much exists, and Black people suffer from it everyday. There is still a lot of change that needs to be made, but Juneteenth gaining the recognition it deserves is one step in the right direction.

(Ps. I am still learning more about Juneteenth myself, so please correct me if any of the information I have shared is inaccurate).

10 Likes

Iโ€™m glad Juneteenth is a holiday! Us African Americans deserve it besides the traditional BHM!

4 Likes

5 Likes

I never knew of this! Happy Juneteenth :heart:

4 Likes

Iโ€™m a bit late, but Happy Juneteenth! And thanks for linking my thread

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.