Haris's 6 Step Tutorial for 3 Different Types of Hair

Hey guyss! I’m back with my third tutorial!! This time it is a tutorial about hair that I wanted to do and it also was requested. It will be really difficult to explain but I’ll do my best and just keep in mind that the tool “smudge” is the absolute key to make hair look more realistic. I ended up with 3 different types of hair. Straight, curly and layered wavy. I must admit though, that the third one (layered wavy) isn’t one of my favorite works. I tried to make it look good multiple times and started over as well but it just wasn’t happening. Sorry if it seems dissapointing. I’ll do my best next time. Also note that I didn’t do a whole head of hair but just the technique to shade and highlight the different types of hair. Let’s get on with the tutorial!

This is the finished image that will let you see everything more clear:

And this is the image that will help you create your own version:

STRAIGHT HAIR

Step 1:
Pick a slightly darker color than the one you want your staright hair to have (than the base color) and draw the outline of the strand of hair. To achieve a staright look on the hair keep it simple by drawing lines that will be either completely straight or slightly curvy like I did. Fill the whole outline with that color.

Step 2:
Using a brush with smooth edges, lower the opacity a bit and draw with the base shade over the hair, but leave the outline darker as shown in the image. Use the “smudge” tool that I will describe everything about it later on and drag the darker color just like the yellow arrows are showing you to, for natural ends.

Step 3:
Pick a lighter shade than the one you were using, keeping the same brush and opacity, draw over the base shade using the technique you used before (leaving the outline of the last shade showing). Use the “smudge” tool again (that I will describe everything about it later on) and drag the darker color just like you did at step 1. Follow the ywllow arrows to help you.

Step 4:
Pick an even lighter color than the one you were using before and do exactly the same following that technique.

Step 5:
Pick the base shade and adjust the opacity and size to your preference and draw with it the shady part of the hair, where the light doesn’t hit (where the green arrow is pointing) as shown in the first image. Then take a lighter shade than the one you were using at step 4 and draw some highlight where the yellow arrows point and follow the yellow guides to help you (draw highlight also on the area that the red arrows are… I just needed to split it because there are multiple stuff I’m doing in this step). Check the first image for a more clear view, to help you understand what I’m failing to explain :sweat_smile: . We’ve come to the holy grail… The “smudge” tool. It is a tool that drags the color while blending it a little. It usually appears as a hand with a finger pointing but I want to believe that you understand what it does and will find it or a similar tool. Make the size of the smudge brush as small as you want the smaller sections of hair to look like and start by smudging the highlighted area following the red arrows. It doesn’t need to look perfect. Actually it shouldn’t. You don’t have to make every drag the same length. For the shadow smudging I’d suggest making the size of the brush a bit bigger. Do the same dragging technique, following the blue arrows. Note that your “drags” or “smudges” if you’d prefer, can’t be straight like a ruler. Follow the flow of the hair and make them curvy (except if the hair is completely straight with no curve at all).

Step 6:
Zoom in the guide image and notice that where the highlight area is, I’ve put a pink line with a smaller black one in the middle and remember that for later. Okay take your darkest and first shade, make the brush super small,adjust the opacity to your preference and make lines on the shaded part where the green guide is placed. Focus on brushing, mostly on the center of the shaded part where the blue line is placed. Use the same dragging and smudging technique we used before. Pick a lighter color than the lightest one you’ve already made and draw a line where the pink lines are placed. Use the dragging and smudging technique. For the last step remember when I told you to zoom in to notice the black line on top of the pink ones? Pick an even lighter color than the last one and draw a small line where the black line is placed. Use once again our technique and you’re done!

CURLY HAIR

QUICK NOTE BEFORE I START: The very end of the curl was changed at the last step because I felt it was kinda wrong. I will be guiding you to achive the lighting of the last step not the rest of them. Thanks <3

Step 1:
Pick a slightly darker color than the base color you’ll need later and draw the outline of the curl. To achieve a curl you need to follow a shape of a spring (the object not the season lol). If you need more help for the outline pay attention to the shaped yellow guides. Fill the whole thing with that color.

Step 2:
Lower the opacity a bit and draw with the base shade where the purple guides are. For the bigger part of the curl I assumed that they light in my drawing hits the hair from the front right side of it and I left a bigger section of darker color showing at the left side and a smaller at the right, so if the light in your drawing hits the hair the same way mine does, fill the pink guides with the base color and leave the blue guides darker (if the light hits your hair from the left front leave a smaller section of darker color showing from the left and a bigger one from the right. If the light hits from the center front leave equal sections of darker color showing). We’ve come to our holy grail… The “smudge” tool. It is a tool that drags the color while blending it a little. It usually appears as a hand with a finger pointing but I want to believe that you understand what it does and will find it or a similar tool. Blend the edges with the smudge tool by dragging the color to and from the darker one, like the yellow arrows are telling you to and do that on the areas that the blue guides appear.

Step 3:
Pick a lighter shade than the one you were using, keeping the same brush and opacity, draw over the base shade using the technique you used before (leaving the last shade exposed more on the side that the light doesn’t hit, or equally exposed if the light hits from the center front). Follow the pink guides if the light in your drawing hits from the same side as mine, or else follow the same method you did at step 2. Smudge all the edges with the same “dragging” technique the yellow arrows were showing at step 2.

Step 4:
Pick a lighter color than the one you were using and do exactly the same but make the areas that you color a bit thiner, like the red guides are showing you to (again adjust the position of the area depending on the side that the light hits the hair from). Smudge all the edges with the same “dragging” technique.

Step 5:
Pick a lighter color than the one you were using and do exactly the same again, but make the areas that you color even thiner than before, like the pink guides are showing you to (once again adjust the position of the area depending on the side that the light hits the hair from). Smudge all the edges with the same “dragging” technique.

Step 6:
I chose to make a blond hair so the “glow” color was a complete white. Adjust your glow color to your preference, but make sure it still is lighter than the previous color you were using. Fill with that color the yellow guide lines and smudge the lines with the same “dragging” technique.

LAYERED WAVY HAIR

Step 1:
Pick a darker color than the base one you’re going to need ofr later and draw the outline of your layered wavy hair. To achieve a layered wavy hair, the shape of the strand of hair needs of course to be curvy enough to be considered wavy and it also needs to have smaller sections of hair sticking out on different levels of the hair. Fill the outline with that same color.

Step 2:
Take a your base color (I chose to make this hair strand a dyed color) and a brush with smooth edges, lower the opacity a bit and draw with the base shade over the hair, but leave the outline darker as shown in the image. With our holy grail “smudge” tool (basically a tool that drags the color while blending it a little. It usually appears as a hand with a finger pointing but I want to believe that you understand what it does and will find it or a similar tool) drag the darker color on the parts where layers meet. Pay attention to the green guides and the original image to get an idea of what I mean.

Step 3:
Pick the darker color again, take a firm edge brush, increase the opacity and draw simple lines where the green lines are to form the layers of the hair. Smudge those lines to make them less harsh and drag the ends where the yellow guides are for a more natural layering effect. Take a lighter color than the base one you were currently using and draw some light with a soft edge brush inside the blue guides, but be sure to leave the outline of the previous color (base shade) showing. Smudge the edges (or blur) id needed.

Step 4:
Take a lighter color than the previous one (mine’s “Lighter Shade 2”) and fill the pink guides.
Take a lighter color than the previous one and fill the dark blue guides. Now pick an even lighter color and fill in the yellow guides. Take the darker color you’ve made (the first one you used at step 1) and fill the green guide).

Step 5:
Use the smudge tool and drag the colors just like the blue arrows are pointing to achieve the look of actual sections of hair. Do the same to the shaded part of the hair (green guide at step 4). The “drags” don’t have to be dragged equally long. Some longer some shorter, because actual hair is not organized.

Step 6:
Take a “glow” color to make the small part of the curve that the light hits mostly, pop! Thw glow color has to be the lightest one you’ve picked, so adjust it to your preferences. Draw with that color on the red lines and smudge them with the same “dragging” technique. (I ended up taking a super small brush and picking every color I felt like I needed and added some hairs on top where the corresponding color was).

That sure was too tiring to write… It took me 2 days! I hope it is apprecited and I hope it helped and you like it! Making a hair tutorial was a request but I wanted to make one as well so here you have it! Three different hair types in one 6 step tutorial! If you end up making your own version I’d be more than happy to see it, so be sure to leave a post on it or pm me if you’d prefer! Bye guyss :heart:

Link to my previous tutorial:

9 Likes

Do you think you could add coils?

Yasss tysm :heart: hehe can you possibly make a tutorial for the eyes next?

1 Like

That would be interesting. I’ve practiced a lot in real life drawings, but I don’t know if I can pull it of… If I do I’ll post it :heart:

Add coils to what? The hair shape?