Has anyone else ever gotten anything like this?

Sorry if this isn’t in the right category

So I logged onto my Episode Instagram account and saw two new dm requests.
They both seem to be from the same person from different accounts, either that or they just copied and pasted the same scam message, but the messages aren’t the same, they’re similar but not completely identical

They also both have 0 followers which is what a scam/bot account would probably have

I’m pretty sure this is a scam, but I wanted to know if anyone else has received a message like this before?

3 Likes

No, I’ve never gotten something like that but it’s seems exciting.

2 Likes

It does sound exciting if it were real, but they’re asking me for my email address which seems a little bit sketchy and I think they’re trying to scam me, I don’t know what I should do.

5 Likes

Oh. … … … . … … . … … … … …

2 Likes

Joseph Evans talk about this was how he got started.

but stil be wary of it might be a scam. ask them a lot qustions about the app. like name. is it launch. or they gonna pay you to write.

if they send you a link dont click it.

5 Likes

make a new email . (mails are free after all) and give that too them

2 Likes

Ok, thanks for the advice

1 Like

I have nothing published so I wouldn’t know :joy::joy:

I would do what line123462 said

3 Likes

the usernames and profile pictures seem sketchy to me.

1 Like

Moved to Episode Fan Community since Community is for discussion of specific stories. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :wink:

I got a response
So basically I made a new account just in case and they actually contacted me. Here’s what they said:

Does this look real? I literally don’t know what to do, what should I say?? I don’t want to get scammed or anything, but I’m also curious. Any suggestions? Do you guys think this is sketchy?

4 Likes

I think it looks legit. as of know there is nothing scam looking.

with answaer speak the truth. as long as they ask for stuff like bank infortmation. its fine

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice once again

1 Like

I got the same message and did the same thing (used an email I don’t care about giving out and asked more questions out of curiosity).
There actually is an app in beta. It only has one story.
I don’t think it’s a scam, although it seems a little off (they seem to want romance stories so no idea why they contacted me for example lol. I think they’re possibly reaching out to a lot of people and then looking at their stories?). But I mean, the only thing you could really lose is your time (if they don’t pay you), or possibly the rights depending on the contract (assuming you sign it- obviously read it carefully). Be careful with how they choose to pay you, too (if you decide to go ahead with it). I’d imagine anything done by paypal should be ok since all they’ll need is your email.

4 Likes

Ooh @writingspirit this is the tea

1 Like

God sksk. I got the ykxxdd one word-for-word and blocked the account days ago.

Listen, I know it’s worded professionally, but please do not trust these accounts. Real teams will put more effort into their username, their design, and won’t be shady like this. And even real teams can scam you, just in a different way. It’s also difficult to get noticed. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn’t.

6 Likes

Them even though I’m unpublished: we love your work and talent :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

This was the funniest part because I did email them out of curiosity and they asked what stories I’d written and where :joy:

5 Likes

Through the email exchange, it sounds like what they’re doing is reaching out to a bunch of people randomly in the community and seeing who bites. Then it sounds like they’re actually going to look at your stuff. There was no automatic-contract offered or anything like that.
I had to push, but I got an app name. It literally had one story but it wasn’t the worst thing I’d ever read lol. So there’s a product (I don’t think I was just given some random app’s name since it’s clearly a beta testing app with very few downloads).
Is it sketchy? I mean, it feels a bit sketchy but at the same time, I can’t really see how it’s a scam from this email exchange lol (not yet, anyway). Now if they asked for money or asked for my bank info, different story.

7 Likes

Mannnnn :skull:

If this isn’t enough proof to say that some of y’all are getting scammed…I really don’t know what to tell you.

7 Likes