Has Anyone Else Found That Episode Gem Options Are Being Taken Too Far? (:

In one of the new featured stories I saw such a weird gem option, that I just HAVE to mention. The story is called ‘Pembrook Prep’ and when we meet the first LI (Colleen) we can either:
29 gems: Tell her our name,
or…
Free: Burp in her face.

What the fock ? This is by far the most ridiculous gem choice I saw in a featured story :woman_facepalming:

12 Likes

I came across this today in Racing Hearts. I haven’t seen anyone else mention it but 1. I feel the choices are way too expensive and 2. I don’t actually think this should be a gem choice to begin with anyway because the car Ford is offering to MC is her deceased brother’s car that he’d been working on fixing for a year and the story stems from her wanting to avenge her brother, Marcus. It’s incredibly insensitive to even suggest that telling him to send it to the junkyard should be the only choice if you cannot afford the gems.
Yes… I’m aware I have a lot of gems, but that’s besides the point.

Also hits closer to home since I had a brother who died in a car crash and the remains of his car are here, at home.

11 Likes

Erm… I don’t know if any of you are aware of this and thus the thread is titled like that… But authors weren’t the one who added wait gem choices in their completed stories. It was an episode feature which they implemented. Anyone, if I’m wrong please correct me so that I’ll know. :expressionless:

1 Like

You’re right, authors aren’t necessarily the ones who’ve decided to implement it into their stories.
I personally don’t have the option to choose to add the 11 hour wait time, I only have the Early Access option, but then again, I don’t know if some authors have the option presented to them or not. :thinking:

Update: I’ve just seen an author say they have the option to use the 11 hour wait time instead of Early Access. So…

4 Likes

I think it’s still in the stages of beta testing with larger authors (hence why many people are coming across them). I do think the authors have the option to opt out of testing but I’m not sure many would turn it down… the main issue is that these days episodes beta testing only seems to happen for a short amount of time before they implement. So I’m guessing it won’t be long before every author has this option…

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking the same thing for a while now lol. I know that gem choices have unfortunately become an integral part of community stories, but I don’t think we should overdo some options either. The gem choice that bothers me the most is the one for clothes. Like, why should I have to spend 5-15 gems on outfits that are available to everyone? If I stopped reading the original Episode stories it’s for this reason. And it bothers me even more when the gem choice is “unlock this outfit to drive the LI crazy”, and the second choice is an ugly outfit. It’s too ridiculous, even more so when the MC wears that outfit for just 5 minutes :skull:

The only useful choices I spend my gems on, are for example to buy points, support the author etc…

5 Likes

Some episode I read I have to wait 3 days to read another story or buy some diamonds to skip that I feel like that wrong What your option ??

4 Likes

That’s a new feature Episode just added called early access. (It’s normally seven days.) Although I hate it too, authors need their gems in order to rank well on the leaderboard (or whatever it’s called since I’m not sure what else it would be called.) Besides, Episode needs their money. In-app purchases come with a free app, that’s always how it works…

4 Likes

Oh ok thanks

2 Likes

yes it do has changed I am new and I have been enough time to know that before there wasnt an erly acces I hate literaly hate it

1 Like

I don’t mind ea from both a reader’s and an author’s POV. Tbh, waiting for it only grows the suspense for me :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

defo haha! this p*ssed me off a lot lol

I hate how episode is charging us to so much as read a featured story :woman_facepalming:t3: It’s so unsubtle & greedy of episode, lmao.

3 Likes

Holy cr*p, there’s not even a free option there :sweat_smile: I didn’t think guidelines allowed gem options where u have no option but to spend gems to move forward? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Also, 29 gems per option? :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Yeahhhh all the featured stories u get pass/gem rewards for reading, r full of gem choices like the above w no free option :sleepy:

3 Likes

Which Episode Original story is that? :sweat_smile: (:

3 Likes

idk if more include this choice, bc I’ve only read these two featured stories recently but it was, pembrook prep & country heart :relaxed:

4 Likes

That’s got to be a glitch! There’s no way that they won’t give a free option… or is there? *gulp

3 Likes

Yes I was reading a story that was completed and for the next chapter you had to wait 11 hours or spend like 8 gems what’s the point in adding that when it’s already completed.

4 Likes

It’s very sad to see all my favorite authors load up on the gem choices and I kind off wish early access wasn’t there. The new update on the payment program isn’t helping either. Everyone is just geting too comfortable with all the gem choices

I personally add only the ‘Support the Author’ thing and character point top-ups and they barely cost 8 gems :no_mouth:

5 Likes

They add gem options in the stories that’s not supposed to have gems at all. Besides the support the author and the EarLy acTess fOr 8-20 GeMs. They end up giving gem choices and I’m pretty sure that I didn’t click a episode story original story because the last time when I read one of those stories was when I transformed from another device after they forced me to read their stories unless I had like 16-17 gems which I spend it on that later and didn’t read another gem story again because, who the heck offers 17 gems just to go to school with the “bad boy?” That’s just a rip off lol

3 Likes