Has anyone entered the Epy Awards?

I was just curious to see what peoples experiences were. Or is anyone planning on entering it?

1 Like

If I had a story I would 100%

1 Like

I have for the last 3 years.
I’m not sure if I’ll enter this year. I have one new story that could qualify, but I’m not sure it’s something I want to enter lol.
I’ve had a good experience (and have won twice ;P).

1 Like

wow thats really cool!

Maybe you will one day :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I entered in… 2018 I think :thinking: I’ll be honest, it wasn’t a good experience for me. They published the review of every story which was something they had only done for winners in the previous years and the review on my story basically made me regret entering, regret writing, and I seriously wanted to just finish my story and quit Episode after reading that feedback :grimacing: It wasn’t until I read the reviews they had published for other stories and saw that some of my faves also got quite negative reviews that I was able to idk, like, move on…?

2 Likes

We all have different styles of writing don’t let others take your passions away from you, we all have our ways to improve. I hope you’re doing well now from that. Sorry to hear that, I bet you are a good writer for sure.

1 Like

Thank you! A few months after that ordeal, episode actually featured my story and it brought a lot of my confidence back again so it all worked out in the end. Good learning experience, you know? I taught me to grow thick skin

2 Likes

Thats really good to hear! Welldone its nice to know something came even better out of this for you.

1 Like

Oooh that was a bad year for them lol. I read some of the reviews and some were just nasty.

1 Like

Do you have any reasons why you think there were bad reviews?

1 Like

It was a bit of a “thing”. I believe they made an announcement about it on IG and apologised? I don’t really remember their reasoning/explanation though.

1 Like

I thought they were being maybe a bit harsh I’m not sure but okay.

I’ll give an example… For someone else’s review, in the Grammar/Punctuation portion, the reviewers notes were: “No. Just no.”
It was a little insensitive to publish something like that when we were all informed that only the winners reviews would be published.

Yeah, from memory, they apologized and explained that they had been really busy making the art for the winning/announcement posts that they had only skimmed through the reviews… something like that. I am pretty sure they also asked people to stop talking about it after they apologized so oops :flushed:

1 Like

Thank you for giving me some understanding I can see why now but at least they apologised although they should’ve been smarter with their decisions.

1 Like

Some of the reviews from 2019 were also quite insensitive. So they did a thing where you could request it to be private, so it wasn’t posted in their review library. A friend of mine did that. From what I remember from 2018, the reviewers who wrote them were very young and that could have been why they were so rude :grimacing:

1 Like

I might consider entering if I finish my story before then. However, I’ve been looking at some of the past review, especially the ones under the Mystery genre, and I’m not sure if I’m all that excited about the contest anymore.

I participated in 2018 with my first story “Rewinded Life”.

Honestly, I don’t know who was the miserable judge who wrote a lousy review of my story. Of all the crap he/she dropped, the worst was that all my characters looked the same when they DIDN’T.

For my luck, two years later, Episode featured “Rewinded Life” on the January Editor’s Picks Shelf 2020. So, in the end, the opinion of Epy Awards doesn’t matter.

How to enter?

1 Like