Have I opened to much?

Hey there! I was reading how to make a good story 101, and tips and stuff it’s really good! So, for my first chapter I already wrote stuff about my MC’s childhood, do you think I should move it?
I talked about how my MC’s dad would come home late and drunk(After my MC’s mum passed away… and how the MC’s dad abused her and her lil sister. It makes sense to me to do it at the start~ because later on, you’d find out things from your past you didn’t know~ I did it in the first chapter, I guess because 2 chapters later the MC’s fiance does something he said he was never going to do. Tell me your opinions, please!

1 Like

I think personally, it’s better to show rather than tell. So instead of telling the readers that the dad was abusive, you can show it through scenes. It’s just a way to keep the attention of the readers, a lot of people get easily bored reading long dialogues. But of course, it depends on how you wrote the scene, so I can’t really tell. It’s good to add that he was abusive because it will give some detail of the MC’s life through the first chapter, it’ll make the readers know the character slowly this way and so deleting it isn’t really necessary (in my opinion).

Good luck though!

6 Likes

Thank you!!

1 Like

Moved to Share Feedback since this is about story ideas. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

The content guidelines do specify that you cannot show parental abuse onscreen:

From Episode's Full Story Guidelines
  1. Assault, Violence & Torture:
  • a. No graphic / explicit / detailed descriptions of rape / assault / murder / torture / violence / gore / etc. This includes (but is not limited to): heavy or excessive use of blood or weapons or scars, use of dead bodies or body parts
  • b. No depiction of torture or parental abuse on screen

I don’t want you to accidentally violate the guidelines !!

You could imply it, perhaps, but maybe ask someone more seasoned than I or go the Content Guidelines thread. I’m not sure what the rules on implied abuse are.

As for the flashback in Episode 1, as long as they don’t overwhelm the present-day scenes, they should be fine. Perhaps you show only partial scenes (leaving the conflict unresolved) to keep readers on their toes!

I would also recommend putting content warnings that your story mentions abuse at the beginning of the episode.

4 Likes

I believe a scene with verbal abuse with a warning prior to it is okay, but it’s better to be cautious as Episode does have a habit of flagging lesser-known community stories for the tiniest reasons (they completely ignore the well-known stories but anyway :skull:)

3 Likes

I will don’t worry.

1 Like