HELP! Don't know if it applies to the guidelines or not

Hi! I’m writing my first story and have been really inspired to write about the elf people going from repressed to the rulers of the country. BUT the guidelines says:
includes hate speech or content that promotes hatred or discrimination against individuals or groups, on the basis of race, ethnic or national origin, religion, marital status, disability, gender, age, or sexual orientation;

is not allowed.
But I don’t think my story really fits that box as it is a completely fictional group of people AND they come to power with makes it an “empowering” story.
I am biased so therefor i wonder what you guys think? Can I write my story without worrying about the guidelines or should I just scrap the whole idea?

1 Like

It’s means you can’t make your character say offensive things because of that persons race nor discriminate them. If they do, then that is against rules.

2 Likes

You should be fine, given that:

1. No elves will read your story
  2. You, the author, actually want the elves to succeed and overcome

That rule, specifically, is so that bigoted authors can’t use their stories as a platform for discrimination, and write a story about how all _______ people are bad. Your story for sure doesn’t apply.

Iirc, there’s another rule about depicting bullying in too much detail, that’s the one that you have to make sure you adhere to. Try not to crank the verbal abuse of the elves up to 10, as some readers have been bullied irl for irl things, and make sure not to show too much violence.

So yeah, on principle, you should be good to go. :grin::+1:

1 Like

Okay! Thank you so much, was kinda worried, but sounds kinda silly now that I think about it haha

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.