Help? Layering?

I’m trying to play around with layering, so that I can learn how to bring more depth to a scene. However, I can’t seem to get it to work, even when I follow the episode guides coding? Am I just not able to use layering when there’s only one character on the screen? Or am I doing something completely wrong?

Help, please!

Maybe my thread will help you :slight_smile:

1 Like

It didn’t quite help. I have an overlay in the scene, and for some reason I can’t get him in front of the overlay? I’ll post my coding and a screen shot of what it looks like, if you wouldn’t mind helping me out?

1 Like

and here’s the coding i’m using in my script, i could be coding it completely wrong, or it could just be my lack of knowledge when it comes to simple directing using overlays? i really want to publish my story, but i’m a perfectionist and i’m really having a hard time with the coding and directing so i feel like most of my questions are stupid.

INT. BAR - DAY with BARTOP

@transition fade in black 2

@EMERSON changes into firstnightatwork

@pan to zone 2 in 2
&EMERSON spot 1.280 159 43 in zone 2 AND EMERSON is tinker_stand_neutral_loop_rear

@KILLIAN moves to layer 2
@KILLIAN enters from right to upscreen right THEN KILLIAN is idle_loop_rear AND KILLIAN faces right

Ugh… this bar background :joy: you have an example in my thread, but remember to move your character to the layer after you place him not before. The best way to make this work is to place your character offscreen and move to layer there and then walk into screen, make sure you move your overlay to the layer as well, you’re in zone 2 so make sure you add this too

Argh, I know! I’ve had more trouble with this dang bar background than anything else I’ve ever tried to do. Haha, at first I tried to layer my character behind the original bar in the Epi background (which I couldn’t figure out, so I assume it didn’t work that way) and then I FINALLY found an overlay to work with the bar, and now I can’t figure out how to direct the scene itself!
And, I really messed up by making my character be a bartender… so, I have no choice BUT to use this background option. It’s almost enough frustration to make me want to change my story just a bit, although there’s already a Wattpad version, so I’m afraid it might ruin the element of the story for me.

What a life.

1 Like

You can do it! :grin: as long you use spotting everything should be ok, default placement often not working don’t know why. Move your bar to layer 1 and then add changing layer command in the same line for your entering character :thinking: check if this will work

If I move the bar to layer 1, do I do that when I add it at the beginning, like with the background? So it would be

INT. BAR - DAY with BARTOP at layer 1?

Add a zone as well :grin: sorry I’m not on my laptop so I can’t copy the command but add:
with BARTOP in zone 2 at layer 1

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.