Help me am i doing it right

INT. BLACK - DAY
NARRATOR
Chapter1-start

INT. MODERN COMFORT LIVING ROOM UPGRADE CLASSIC - DAY with INT. MODERN COMFORT LIVING ROOM UPGRADE CLASSIC CHAIR - DAY with INT. MODERN COMFORT LIVING ROOM UPGRADE CLASSIC TEA TABLE - DAY

shifts to 60 79 in zone 2
scales to 1.010 1.010
rotates 0 anchor point 0.0 0.0
opacity 1.00
OVERLAY:INT. MODERN COMFORT LIVING ROOM UPGRADE CLASSIC TEA TABLE -DAY

@ETHAN enters from left to screen left
@LIZZY enters from right to screen right
@OLIVIA enters from left to screen center

No. This is not correct. you either need:
& OR @ then your scales to, shifts to etc for overlays.
Example:
&overlay NAME shifts to 50 100 in zone 1
&overlay NAME scales to 1.000 1.000
&overlay NAME to layer 0
&overlay NAME opacity 1

You don’t need the anchor/rotate unless you are rotating the overlay so it’s safe to erase that line completely.

To set up your scene (An example):

INT. BACKGROUND - DAY with OVERLAY with OVERLAY2 to 1.000 50 100 in zone 1 at layer 3
&overlay OVERLAY shifts to 30 100 in zone 1
&overlay OVERLAY scales to 1.000 1.000
&overlay OVERLAY to layer 1
&overlay OVERLAY opacity 1
&zoom reset and cut to zone 2
&CHARACTER spot 1.280 45 100 in zone 1 at layer 2 and CHARACTER faces right and CHARACTER starts tinker_stand_neutral_loop_rear
@transition fade in black in 2

CHARACTER
(I hate washing dishes by hand!)

Things to remember: you can’t mix spot directing and basic code (example: you can’t “enter from left” to spot x y in zone z)

In my example I showed two ways to code overlay spot direction -
For overlay OVERLAY I did basic code set up using the & symbol so the system reads my set up smoothly through my transition.
For overlay OVERLAY2 I took all the numbers from the basic code and put them into the background and “with” overlay line by using “to” and “at layer”.

Breakdown of overlay 2: Code: with OVERLAY2 to 1.000 50 100 in zone 1 at layer 3

The 1.000 is the scale number.
The 50 100 in zone 1 is the shifts to numbers
and the “at layer 3” is obviously the layer.
Coding the overlay this way defaults it to “opacity 1”. IF I wanted OVERLAY2 to be invisible at the start of the scene, I’d add " &overlay OVERLAY2 opacity 0" to my starting code.

• pick which ever overlay code way works easiest for you. I prefer the way overlay2 is coded but they will both work the same :slight_smile:

Hope this helps, feel free to ask questions if it doesn’t make sense and I’ll try to explain a different way.

Its the background and the overlay is for me to fit the table in the scene.

I’m Confuse.

I’m not sure - are you confused on how to scale an overlay? or how to code the new scale into the script?

If you look under your previewer there are boxes that show different code types. The first is the basic way of coding overlays, the next is another way and the last is a box with "with OVERLAY to " and a code after that.)

Just copy paste either the box below the preivewer into your scene:
&overlay OVERLAY shifts to 30 100 in zone 1
&overlay OVERLAY scales to 1.000 1.000
&overlay OVERLAY to layer 1
&overlay OVERLAY opacity 1

OR you can copy/paste the last box (“with OVERLAY to 1.000 0 0 in zone 1 at layer #” in it) and paste that into your background bar like:
INT. BACKGROUND - DAY with OVERLAY to 1.000 50 100 in zone 1 at layer 3

I seen that but how will that work i don’t know how to code or scale

What about the backround

This will help you much more effectively than I can. His videos are great - give in-portal code explanations and previews and is very easy to listen to and understand his speech :slight_smile:

Yeah i know him i have a question how do you get the characters to sit at the tabble in the living room and in school classroom or any table

Thanks

using the animations that begin with sit and then spot direct. If in the classroom add an overlay like a table and make sure that the character is layered behind it. Some episode original bgs have the feature that the overlay is already included. Hope this answers your question!

using the previewer and copy it in your script!

Ok thanks

I try to do that and it looks a mess