Help me write diverse characters!

Mmmmmm…Deliciouso :ok_hand:t5::kissing:

Don’t go too stereotypical with the characters,

Here are some characteristics for each

Abby - Extremely nice, a tad bit insecure, and smart (but not too much cuz not all asians are smart)
Ingrid - Formal, Charming
Ozy - Sarcastic, Distant, HOTTTT (Because everyone loves an emotionally unavailable boy)
Aliya - Religious, Sassy, Funny
Brenda - Let her be that basic white girl you know in real life
Elijah - Makes a bunch of greek god references, and talks about everything greek, even greek numbers (this is just to add a bit of humor)
Ben - Alot like Abby, But more of the jock type
Jack - Make him nice, but charming, and a great friend
Luke - Make him adorable weird, like the clumsy, shy type

(Extra points if you make some of them lgbt+)

3 Likes

See this helps a lot.
Based on the picture provided who do you shop as couples? Include LGBTQ if you want :heart:

I think Aliya (i think she’s wearing the headwrap) should be with who i think is Lumen (beige turtleneck on the bottom)
Especially because Aliya seems religious and a lot of people don’t accept who they are because of their religion

^^^Biggest ship^^^

And Maybe Ingrid with Abby, But of course bReNDa want ingrid too, Because 1. Basic White Girl 2. DRAMAAAAA

2 Likes

Wahhh

Lumen and Ben are an item in my story :sob:

I have Lumen written as this gamer girl who gets shit down in the apocalypse because of her gaming history. She’s really excitebale and sometimes a lil rude because she’s blunt.

I have Ben written as this sort of intelligent rich kid who’s never touched a drug or woman in his life. He’s scared by everything but he has really good survival skills.

I wanted those two together so Lumen can protect him, and he can feel safe with someone.

I also wanted to keep in mind that Aliya is Muslim, she is very religious and isn’t likely to be in a same sex relationship because of the teachings of her religion.

I see Ingrid as Bisexual as well as Luke.
I believe zack is pansexual
Ozy is asexual
Abby is pansexual
Brenda is well as you put it, Basic white bitch
Ben and Lumen are both demisexual
Aliya is demisexual
Elijah is bisexual

1 Like

Damn, I already ship Lumen and Ben
Is your story out yet? I really want to read it :blush:

1 Like

No :sob:
I’m still working on it

Well I literally cannot wait to read it
I bet it’s gonna be great

1 Like

Just don’t forget that just because someone is black or white it means they’re exclusively tied to a certain ethnicity. There are mixed races. Also, try not to NOT use stereotypes. Like for example making the asian girl stupid because you don’t want people to think you were stereotyping. It’s okay to make her smart just because she likes to learn and expand her knowledge. Maybe give background on their lives so people know why they have these qualities?

Don’t forget economic status, sexuality, disability like someone with ADHD or any other mental disability. Maybe a transgendered character or a feminist or make some of your characters hated as in being a bigot. Not everyone is kind and caring and P.C. I’d definitely read a story about character with different views than the rest because they grew up in a household that was different. Don’t forget religion either and maybe making some of them have strong religious beliefs.

Use the skin tones to your advantage as well. People come in all different colors and it’s fun to see someone whose pale be mistaken for a caucasian person but actually be Hispanic. Also, maybe search up less obvious ethnic backgrounds. Maybe do Russian or Belizean or Ghanaian, Italian, Portuguese, Haitian. Mix it up a little. But also just have some characters just be black or white. That’s okay too and if you can show how different they are in their words. People say things differently with their accents and dialect.

Sorry it’s so much. I just enjoy helping create diverse characters.

3 Likes

I think a good reference for diversity is choices. In Choices the characters are naturally diverse, their diversity is a part of who they are and they are just like any other character without being tokenized or stereotyped. That’s how it should be and it’s not hard to do honestly. Like diversity is present and visible without “pointing it out” :slight_smile:

Yay :grinning::rainbow_flag:
Let me know if I can help you in any way x

I was scrolling through episode looking for a good story and i remembered about this thread, any updates?

Hello there! Congrats on your first story, can’t wait to read it.
I think I can help with the Native American character, Lumen. But that depends, you want a native american from the north, the soulth, or the center America?
I’m from Brazil and I can help if the character is from the soulth America.
Good luck! Let me know if I can help.

Hi I can help with the Aussie if you want (I’m guessing he’s the one holding the baby) as I am Australian too. Also Australian is very vague term because that refers to the Aboriginal Australians as well as white Australians just wandering which.
Good luck with the story :wink:

the only thing i’ll say is that muslims aren’t all intolerant of the LGBT+ community. religious people can be homophobic/transphobic, but that doesn’t go for all of them. and i’m not sure i’d be comfortable reading a story where a MC we’re supposed to be rooting for is homophobic/transphobic…

i come from a muslim household and while i certainly have intolerant relatives, my siblings who are religious are supportive of me and the LGBT+ community. just something to keep in mind!

Is ur story out?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.