Help on a Greek Myths Centric Story

Hello! I’m relatively new to the episode community, but I’ve wanted to try my hand at creating a story. I have this idea of the reader being the Oracle of Delphi and running into Mythological figures as she tries to hide from the pursuit of Zeus and an impending Trojan War.
What I’m worried about is if it would work with episode’s guidelines? I don’t plan on having anything explicit nor do I plan on using real people, but some places I mention are places of history (ex. Sparta, Delphi, Troy). I was wondering if this would fly or would I need to change up some elements?

1 Like

You can try. I think that you can.

1 Like

So it’s okay to mention those places? They’re places of myth but they also exist in real life so I’m a little anxious about it. I’m not sure what alternatives there are if I can’t.

1 Like

you can definitely mention these places. I don’t think the thing you mentioned are subject to any copyrights. if you look at books such as Percy Jackson or movies such as Hercules, they all include Zeus and Ancient Greek elements. the guidelines mostly won’t let you make, for example, Taylor Swift as a character. but since Sparta, Delphi, etc were real cities/places you can include them. (just as you can include New York, or any other city/state/country)

2 Likes

Hey! I’m actually writing a Greek mythology based story as well, so I’ve gone through the guidelines to see what’s acceptable haha. Mentioning Greek deities/ mythological figures should be totally fine, as would mentioning ancient Greek heroes (you could include Agamemnon or Priam if you wanted, even though they were likely real), as their estates are no longer controlled or copyrighted. (Source w/ confirmation from an Episode moderator)

In addition, by submitting your story, you agree that it does not include any content that infringes on the intellectual property rights or rights of publicity or privacy of any third party.

This may include using any of the following without permission:

1. Any copyrights or works of authorship of other parties, including excerpts or passages taken from literary works, video games, television or film;
  2. References to corporate or business names; or
  3. Any references to real persons or places.

“real … places” here would refer to a place that is copyrighted, I believe. For example, mentioning that your characters are going to Starbucks, Hogwarts, or Disneyland would be sketchy since they’re all copyrighted. Troy, Olympus, the Underworld, or Delphi, on the other hand, should be totally fine.

1 Like

Thank you so much! That clears up a lot for me.

I’m glad to hear you’re writing myths based story too, we’re really lacking in those on the platform. When you publish it, shoot me a message because I’d love to check it out

1 Like

No problem, glad I could help!

For sure, I’ll let you know when I publish. I’d love to read your story, too, when it comes out, so lmk when it does! I love the idea of following the Oracle; she’s such an underexplored character imo

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.