HELP: Smoothly Coding Animations WITH Dialog

My situation is with making the characters not look like they are slow to react, or just awkward :joy: What I do at the moment is:

ex.

CHAR1 (animation)
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

&CHAR1 starts animation
&CHAR2 starts animation AND CHAR2 faces left
&CHAR3 starts animation
&CHAR4 starts animation AND CHAR4 faces left
&CHAR5 starts animation

@pause for a beat

CHAR2 (animation)
bcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyza

&CHAR1 starts animation AND CHAR1 faces right
&CHAR2 starts animation
&CHAR3 starts animation
&CHAR4 starts animation
&CHAR5 starts animation

@pause for a beat

That’s an example of what I do, but I don’t know if I’m supposed to put the animations first? I’m trying to make my directing look nice, so help is very much appreciated~! Thanks in advance! :blush:

(I also am using the LL art style)

Try adding pauses, like this…
&CHAR1 starts (animation) AND pause for 0.5 THEN CHAR2 starts (animation) AND CHAR3 starts (animation) AND pause for 1 THEN CHAR5 starts (animation)
MC (animation)
Bla bla bla …
&CHAR1 starts … and so on. It’ll look more natural (especially if they’re background characters). If they are reacting to what MC is saying you could do it like this…

&MC starts (talk_animation) AND pause for 0.5 THEN CHAR1 starts (react) AND pause for 0.2 THEN CHAR2 starts (react) AND CHAR3 starts (react)
MC dont put animation here
Bla bla bla

Play around with the timings of the pauses that look best with certain animations :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you~! I’ll try that out! I didn’t know you could have that much going on in one line :joy:
You learn something new everyday heh :sweat_smile:

1 Like

You can :grin: it’s just dialog that has a limit per line. I’ve been coding for nearly a year and I’m still learning new things :upside_down_face:

1 Like

It worked (I think :joy:)! Thank you! Now I just need to recode everything… facepalm… wish me luck :crazy_face:

Do you mind if I pm you with more questions? It’s alright if you say no. :joy::sweat_smile:

Feel free :laughing: I’m not online very often but I will answer when I’m on :see_no_evil::joy:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.