So I want to write a Hawaiian character, and so far in my research I’ve found that names are a significant part of the Native Hawaiian culture. I was wondering if there were any native Hawaiians on here that could help explain that a bit better and help me to name this character. Her culture will play a big part in who she is, and I have a list of questions as well. Thank you in advance! This is much appreciated!!!
- Is the traditional method of honi ihu still in practice? Or has that changed into cheek kisses and a hug? Is this ever used in a professional setting?
- Would it be appropriate to refer to the character as kama’aina?
- Do any of you still speak 'olelo hawai’i either with family or friends? Or is it no longer taught because of colonization?
- Are you still taught about Hawaiian deities / legends like Pele or the Huaka’i po?
- Are there any yearly traditions that you take part in that honor or focus on your culture / heritage?
- Do you think it would be appropriate for me to even write this character? I know a lot about the brutal history of Hawai’i, and I really don’t want to contribute to that.
- Do you still practice he’e holua?
- How do you feel about the visitors currently living on the Islands?
- Is there anything you think I should know beyond any of this information?