Help With Layering

I’m having a lot of trouble. Usually, I find spot directing and layering quite easy but I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong with this! It’s just extremely confusing and I went through and layered all the background characters to make sure they were in the right place and to figure out what layers the main characters needed to be at to be in the very front but some background characters are in front of Noah and Mia is in the very back. Someone help!

&CRAIG moves to layer 2 and CALLA moves to layer 1 and GIANNA moves to layer 4 and GARET moves to layer 3 and GARPY moves to layer 5 and DANNY moves to layer 6 and LUCY moves to layer 7 and YAEL moves to layer 9 and ERIN moves to layer 8
&LOLLIE moves to layer 10 and KAYLA moves to layer 9 and DANICA moves to layer 12 and ELLA moves to layer 13 and HARPER moves to layer 14 and QUINLEY moves to layer 16 and KALE moves to layer 15
&CARSON moves to layer 16 and RICHARD moves to layer 18 and RAY moves to layer 19 and PETER moves to layer 21 and IONA moves to layer 20 and URSELA moves to layer 22 and CAMILLA moves to layer 22 and WALLACE moves to layer 17

music juvie_ballroom
@reset hsl
@pan to zone 3 in 5
@pan to zone 1
@NOAH spot 1.280 -86 12
@NOAH moves to layer 23
@zoom on 0 0 to 398% in 0
@follow NOAH to screen center in zone 1
@zoom on 161 0 to 398% in 2
@NOAH is idle_armscrossed_shifteyes_loop
@zoom on 156 385 to 398% in 0
@speechbubble is 143 135 to 117% with tail_top_right
        NOAH (eyeroll_subtle)
    (Where's a waiter when you need one?)
@speechbubble reset
@NOAH is think_rubchin
@pause for a beat
@NOAH is search_neutral

@cut to zone 3
@MIA enters from right to screen center
&MIA moves to layer 24
@add Cup Plastic Red to MIA

@zoom on MIA to 200% in 0

MIA (talk_cup_neutral_loop)
    Here are your drinks.

Thank you so much for reading through this!

“screen center” messes up the layers in my experience. try:

&CRAIG moves to layer 2 and CALLA moves to layer 1 and GIANNA moves to layer 4 and GARET moves to layer 3 and GARPY moves to layer 5 and DANNY moves to layer 6 and LUCY moves to layer 7 and YAEL moves to layer 9 and ERIN moves to layer 8
&LOLLIE moves to layer 10 and KAYLA moves to layer 9 and DANICA moves to layer 12 and ELLA moves to layer 13 and HARPER moves to layer 14 and QUINLEY moves to layer 16 and KALE moves to layer 15
&CARSON moves to layer 16 and RICHARD moves to layer 18 and RAY moves to layer 19 and PETER moves to layer 21 and IONA moves to layer 20 and URSELA moves to layer 22 and CAMILLA moves to layer 22 and WALLACE moves to layer 17
music juvie_ballroom
@reset hsl
@pan to zone 3 in 5
@pan to zone 1
@NOAH spot 1.280 -86 12 AND NOAH moves to layer 23
@zoom on 0 0 to 398% in 0
@follow NOAH to screen center in zone 1
@zoom on 161 0 to 398% in 2
@NOAH is idle_armscrossed_shifteyes_loop
@zoom on 156 385 to 398% in 0
@speechbubble is 143 135 to 117% with tail_top_right
NOAH (eyeroll_subtle)
(Where’s a waiter when you need one?)
@speechbubble reset
@NOAH is think_rubchin
@pause for a beat
@NOAH is search_neutral
@cut to zone 3
@MIA enters from right to spot 1.280 159 0 AND MIA moves to layer 24
@add Cup Plastic Red to MIA
@zoom on MIA to 200% in 0
MIA (talk_cup_neutral_loop)
Here are your drinks.

Thank you so much! I never would’ve gotten that on my own. :grinning:

did it work?

Hi! I have gone ahead and moved your topic to the Directing Help & Tips forum as that is what you are looking for. Please review our forum tutorial for more info on where to correctly create topics. Thanks!