Help with plus sized characters!

Hi there!
Plus sized characters are very rarely used in episode stories, and when they are, they often are used as comic relief. I’m here to help you write plus sized characters in a respectful way!

Harmful stereotypes to avoid:

• We are not all big because we eat a lot
  • We don’t all have diabetes
  • We aren’t always happy and funny
  • We aren’t lazy- many of us are actually athletes!
  • Not all of us hate our bodies, most of us love them!
  • We aren’t all dumb
  • We don’t like it when people comment on our weight or use it as an insult- if nothing else, just don’t do that.

How we would like to see ourselves:

• As MCs
  • As LIs
  • Honestly, as anything other than the comic relief best friend.

Thank you so much for reading!!! If you have any questions at all, feel free to reply <3

24 Likes

:pleading_face::pleading_face::pleading_face:

This thread is so sweet! Thank you for this <3

2 Likes

Bump! :heart:

2 Likes

I was gonna add a plush size charatere as love interest for my story, but I couldnt fit her in, and because it was for a contest I didnt have time plan ahead, and now to make my story make sense with I have plan I cant fit her in for like 20 chapters, which is a bit late to intradouce another love interest,(beside it already have 5) so I think I cut her as a love interest.

I do have a dead ghost princess who is plush size .

3 Likes

Sweet :pleading_face: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :slight_smile:

1 Like

bump! This is incredibly important, and I’m bookmarking for the future :heart:

2 Likes

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

1 Like

Don’t feel like you have to have plus sized LI in every story!!! It’s okay if you don’t :blob_hearts:

Thanks for this thread!

1 Like

Love it.

1 Like

Thanks for this thread!

I’d also like to see more plus size characters whose arcs aren’t about losing weight or learning to love themselves.

To be fair, I love those stories when they’re written with care. It’s just that plus size characters (especially main characters) can care about more than their weight (if at all) or if they do, that’s not what defines them as a person.

4 Likes

Love this thread!

In my next story, I plan to give the readers the choice to choose the body type, including plus size. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exactly!! It’s nice to read stories where the plus sized character is allowed to love their body :heart:

1 Like

On a side note my PS LI is an athlete and a fitness trainer and has great self confidence.:heart:
My new one has option for PS-PS romance.
Can’t wait for PS males too.

2 Likes

Gosh I love this <3 I love when people lift other people up and not down! xo

1 Like

I remember when I first saw plus-sized women in Episode Interactive, it was probably the happiest I ever felt that day! I love how the episode is adding more body inclusivity. While I think they could’ve started this earlier, at least we know that they are growing as an app and moving on from the past. One thing I’d like Episode to add is body inclusivity for men! Men aren’t the main characters in Episode, but they still deserve to be represented just as much as women do. I’m hoping Episode does this by the end of the year, at least. :blush:

3 Likes

Hello! I have a quick question and I’m not sure if it’s appropriate to put in a story or not.

As you’ve stated, it’s true that not all plus characters have diabetes. I find this stereotype annoying too. It’s still possible, however, for a plus character to have diabetes just like any other character. So would it be considered rude to include a diabetic plus character in the story, as long as it’s just that character and none of the other plus ones?

2 Likes

Hi!! Thank you so much for asking!

I think that you will be fine having a plus sized character that has diabetes, as long as you don’t make that into their entire personality, or blame their diabetes on their weight!

2 Likes

I feel the same way!

1 Like

Thank you! (:

1 Like