Help with Spanish translations

My characters are Mexican-American. I need some translations and would grateful for any help that you guys can give.

1. Food.
  2. Be thankful that you have a plate of food when other children in the world are straving!
    3.Watch your mouth before I wash it out with soap! You are not grown!
  3. Don’t ever speak to your mother like that again!
  4. Go clean your room. Now.
  5. It will be over my dead body before he marries a gold-digging whore into my family!"
    (Grandma’s gansters shows in Ep 6. :joy:

that mom sound abusive

It’s actually not. These aren’t one right after another lines. (and it’s the grandmother who says she’d* wash her mouth out- which is a threat that my own grandmother used to give us- we all knew she’d never actually do it… but it made us think about how we were acting.)

The lines are spread through two different scenes.

1 Like

maybe its my culture, since I live in a place where we raise kids in cotton wraps, but if i heard parents say some of this thing, I would think of them as a bad parent,

1 Like

I only know food is comida

1 Like

I can respect that. I know that in most Latinx cultures respect is a very big deal within the families. You don’t talk back to your elders, you listen to their advice -even if you don’t want it lol-. In the scene about the food, the younger cousin asks what’s that smell and the Grandmother answers food (jokingly). The girl then starts saying things that disrespect the culture the grandmother was raised in- which results in the washing mouth comment and the “clean your room now” is the cousins mother telling her basically to leave the room because of her behavior and gives her a menial task to punish the behavior. They aren’t abusive to them at all. They just don’t believe it’s appropriate for younger members to disrespect their family or culture.

Thank you. :smiley: I haven’t taken a Spanish class since year 8 in school. :joy:

1 Like

thats another thing there is diffrent, I never heard the sentence respect your elders, in real life. i can’t talk for all families where I live, but in mine, we dont teach respect but to be kind.

1 Like

I’m from spain if u want help :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Everyone’s cultures are different. I’ve been lucky enough to observe a few different ones as I have a very diverse group of friends. :smiley: In my family, we teach that you should respect everyone and their culture- even if it’s different from ours- because people have the right to live and express themselves however they choose and to be kind. It’s a balance of acknowledging that people are different and respecting and showing kindness to everyone- no matter where they come from.

1 Like

Thanks, - and please correct me if I am wrong- but isn’t the dialect and use of spanish words between Spain’s Spanish and those from Mexico and other places different?

I ask because my characters are a Mexican/American family?

2 Likes

Yep, our dialect is different from Spain.

1 Like

Okay. Thanks for answering. I thought that was true but I haven’t been in a spanish course in like a decade. :joy:

Could you help with any of the translations I put in the first post?

1 Like

yep it’s kind of different :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Of course! Shall I send it here or through pm?

1 Like

I appreciate the offer, really. Thank you!

The Spanish needs to be in a Mexican dialect to make sense for my characters.

2 Likes

ohh okaay np!

1 Like

A PM would work, thank you!

1 Like

Who closes topics? Or how do I make it ‘solved’?

2 Likes

you need to tag @Sydney_H or @nick and say close the topic

2 Likes