HELP! Writing advice

Hi,

When I’m writing I know that episode have their limit in describing. I just want to know my limit as I know episode is 13+.

Like a kissing scene, or like a dominant scene (aka not s*x but like: they strictly placed their hand on my throat pulling my body against theirs. Slowly tightening their grip, enough to make me gasp for air.)

Like I really want to describe all this but I know what is right and wats too much and I don’t want to over step my limit.

Many thanks

This might break guidelines idk- since it’s describing ‘in detail’ what’s going on. Maybe the better thing to do would be show and not tell.

1 Like

Oh okay. I think with me being dyslexic I thought that was show not tell. I’ll Google some ideas and re word it and see if that is better. Thanks for your help :heart:

:slight_smile: no problem. I’m just saying you could show a brief moment of the hand overlay on their throat without having any narration and that < I don’t think would break guidelines. I just know they are very strict on what you can and can’t describe. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Yeah I know, that’s why I thought it’s easier asking then doing something what breaks the guidelines :heart:

1 Like

Hi I don’t know if this is what you ment. but I’ve spen a couple of hours trying to reword the sentance.

So this is the sentance:

They strictly placed their hand on my throat pulling my body against theirs. Slowly tightening their grip, enough to make me gasp for air.

And this is what I’ve rewrote:

I could tell they were up to something with their miniature, sinful grin; glancing over my shoulder there they stood about an inch apart. Trying to analyse their next more, I catch myself gazing down towards the hand closer to me, where I see them slowly wiggle from the little finger to the index finger forming a fist, then when the veins pop. That is when my gaze pan straight up where their sinful grin became more of a sinful smile. I just knew I was in some deep trouble or something. Holding my breath I looked forward, waiting for something to happen. An inch of hair fell in front of my face, suddenly the warm breath tickled my neck sending blood-tingling shivers throughout my body. Instantly I knew that that inch of a gap became less then a centimetre. My mind went blank, then suddenly it came as soon as the electric shock of their index finger spiralling circles on my hand, my mind wondering what their next plans were. Their fingers slowly creeping its way up my arm, the other hand trailing across my shoulders gathering my hair as if it was in their way, Their hand clasping around my throat, forcefully jolting my body, arching my back. To the point my upper back is pressed against their chest. Their breath was extremely warm on the back of my neck, not thinking straight I started to notice that I was gasping for air. Then I realised that they tighten their grip. Still gasping for air they slam me on the desk, face down, leaning over me. Whispering sweet nothing. Sening yet another blood-tingling shiver throughout my body. Instead of standing up they stayed to whisper. Do you still think I’m soft now? I… Couldn’t respond.

Is that what you ment?
Do you think that is better then the other one?

Many Thanks

I think you mis-understood. When I said “show and don’t tell” I meant something like coding animations to show the actions and NOT have the narration of what’s happening in the scene. Let readers use their imagination a bit and just find animations that match what you’re describing and keep it PG. While I an adult don’t see anything that would make me blush-- Episode Reviews team might feel differently because of the demographic of the app (12-year olds + )

You can’t be overly ‘descriptive’ of things that could be seen as sexual or implying that that’s where a scene is ‘headed’

You could use an overlay of a hand and place it between two characters and animate it to move up to the characters throat. give a quick gasp animation then change it to one of the flirty ones. then pick another set of action animations to show what’s going on without all the descriptive narration.

Or a better option might be to censor your narration to something on the PG level and use an art scene or edited pose with light narration of what’s going on and fade out before anything ‘happens’.

Either way, it lets readers fill in the blanks so that you stay inside the guidelines. :slight_smile: Does that explain a little better? You obviously have the writing skills to make a great story and maybe you could do two versions one for Episode’s kid-friendly then a wattpad version with all the details? :slight_smile:

A good example of a tv show that would be in line with Episode’s guidelines would be Pretty Little Liars- anytime anything ‘spicy’ is going on there’s some looks between the characters, some kissing or flirty dominance then it cuts out/moves on to another scene before ‘stuff’ goes down, it’s implied and referenced to, but never shown or described- viewers old enough to know what’s going on, know what’s going on.-- that way it’s appropriate for viewers that are younger. While the show definitely makes some interesting choices in the morals department, any romance is kept ‘classy’ enough for daytime tv. lol

Nudity / Sexual Content:

1. No depiction of sex (or anything suggesting that sex is occurring at that moment) in any form, including but not limited to, nudity in a sexual context, gyrating bodies, oral sex, or moaning/groaning.
  2. No explicit sexual details of what is happening, has happened or will happen off-screen
  3. No nudity without censor bars or scenery to censor
  4. No reference to orgies, sexual fetishes, and specific sexual positions
  5. No descriptions or depictions of non-consensual sex. Through content or through choice selection, the reader must be able to give consent to having sex or performing sexual acts (i.e. reader must always have the option to turn it down without punishment or judgment)
  6. No graphic/explicit/detailed description or depiction of active, ongoing sexual abuse involving a character who is under 18 years of age.
  7. No graphic/explicit/detailed description or depiction of illegal relationships such as incest

Your characters can not have sex or describe sex on screen. They also can’t describe it happening off screen in vivid detail. This means they can still have sex, there are just limitations in the way it’s represented. From what I can tell, you could have scene with two characters kissing in front of a bed and then fade to black. (Then it is implied, but technically the characters could just be giving each other a sweet lil kiss before taking a nap) One important change to the guidelines is that you can’t describe or depict non-consensual sex. This means that your character can’t be forced into doing something by another character. Along with this, when you give readers a choice to sleep with another character you can NOT punish them for saying “No.”

1 Like