Help Writing Medical Scene

Okay, so I’m trying to write this scene when a character has severe injuries to their upper body, meaning that they were shot, yes. I’m trying to figure out, how should I start the scene. Now, I don’t need to start it when their in an ambulance, and then being taking inside the hospital, etc. Nah, I want to skip that part. So, what would you guys think would be a good start? And how long do you guys think someone who has been shot should live? And should they die maybe when their organs start shutting down? HELP. XDDDDD

1 Like

Maybe start it off in the operating room? The doctors talking about their injuries and maybe how they got them.

The life depends on you of course :slight_smile: Do you want them to make it?
If not maybe have them die either on the operating table or a few days/weeks after the surgery where they didn’t wake up from it and are brain dead. So either the family or the doctors have to decide to unplug them. Or maybe they’re in urgent need of an organ donor? And the character is a match.

2 Likes

when ever someone get injured they live, they can get shot 199 times and still live :rofl: Episode logic

2 Likes

Depends on where they were shot, how much blood they’ve lost, whether there’s enough of the correct blood type for a transfusion, what equipment is available at the time, whether they will accept a transfusion (sometimes people won’t/don’t for religious reasons) and how much staff/who is available for surgery.

Their chances would be pretty grim if the bullet hit an artery or if the hospital was low on or didn’t have their blood type, especially if the character has a very rare blood type.

Edit: You’d also need to consider the character’s pre-existing health. Were they totally fine beforehand or did they already have poor health? Were they on any blood thinners/had conditions like hemophilia for example?

[cough] Okay wow, you probably don’t need this much detail for a character who you intend to kill off lol? I tend to keep going on and on.
Anywayyyyyys… yeah. :joy:

2 Likes

think the best way to go about this would be in the ER in a trauma room. They would be triaged first so the doctors would decide how life threatening the injuries are and talk to the patient about whats happening if theyre conscious. and then theyd be sent for addition scans or in for surgery immediately. so id start it there. You could also start it with the paramedics passing them off to the ER doctors explaining whats happened.

1 Like

It depends where they get shot

1 Like

this is a good idea!!! Because like, he will get surgery, and maybe be alive for quite some time, to see the MC before he passes after a few days, and then the mc gets the call. Hm, how about that?

2 Likes

Upper body, let’s say in the chest, and/or abdomen.

1 Like

If there’s a bullet in his chest I doubt he would be able to talk or even be conscious during a ride to the ambulance. However, if you want, being shot in the shoulder would make him be able to still talk a little and probably not die.
If you want him to die but still be conscious and be able to talk you can make him fail the platinum 10 minutes. Basically in the first 10 minutes after the gunshot wound, the victim is at a high risk of dying by one or more of 3 things: 1. Airways obstruction meaning he can’t breathe and would die pretty soon before the 10 minutes runs out, 2. collapsed lung, or 3. the most common reason, bleeding too much. Basically you can make the character say all he needs to say in the 10 minutes until he bleeds out.

1 Like

Yeah cause I don’t want to go through all of that. XDD I just want to see what I could use as a key to say, okay, the character was shot above their upper body, like chest, and abdomen, and went into surgery, and is in bed rest, but after a few days their organs start to shut down or something.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.