Hi! I’m currently working on a story in which the main LI is Korean-American and I’d like to know what could be some interesting traditions or cultural things that I could incorporate into the story. Also if anyone has any tips on what to avoid doing or stereotypes to stay away from, any help is welcome and I’m always eager to learn!
Here’s some background on him so you guys can understand better what could be appropriate:
- He’s half Korean and half white.
- He lived in South Korea until he was 10, then his parents moved to the United States where his mom is from.
- I want to write his father as a very conservative person as this will be a part of the plot, so any tips about that would be great!
- While he didn’t live in South Korea for his adult life, his father always wanted him to keep in touch with his culture, so while he’s more used to American culture he’d still know/follow plenty of traditions and customs.
- I’d like to incorporate his culture into some romance scenes, so if there are any traditions or behaviors that I could write into my story I’m happy to hear about that too.
- At first I wanted to write him speaking some Korean into the story, but I don’t think that’s a good idea since I’m not fluent (trying to learn tho lol). The idea would be that MC speaks multiple languages and one of them is Korean, so sometimes they’d speak with each other in that language. But I don’t think it’s viable because things like Google Translate aren’t very accurate, so…What do you guys think?
Any advice is welcome and I can go into more detail about him if necessary. Thank you so much!