Hey! So... PLEASE HELP

So can someone explain to me how college is like because i’m writing a story and I don’t want it to sound like a highschool but more like a college… like for example how would a college school sound like… Would it be North Wing High that sounds like highschool but yes! Someone please help me how college is like!

3 Likes

Maybe North Wing University instead?

1 Like

Good Idea Thanks!!!

collages are usually only in biger cities they are named eather as the city or have some name after someone or some specific name.

Harvard university ( name comes from person name Jon Harvard)

University of Oxford ( city name)

California institut of technology ( Caled usually CALTECH - name describing the theme of this university)

1 Like

Instead of “school” or “high” you could add:

• University
  • College
  • Institute
  • Academy (not limited to pre-college)

to the end of the college’s name or even before, for example: University of New England. The university I attended was SAE (School of Audio Engineering) but it was also known as SAE Institute. The reason why I don’t suggest “school” even though my uni formally had that in its name is because it isn’t that common to hear of and your readers might mistake it for a high school.

It differs depending on how large the university is, some have big auditoriums and lecture halls and others don’t.
Mine was small so we didn’t have either, we just had small classrooms on each floor with computers at every desk (because we had different disciplines for gaming, web, mobile) and a smart board/projector. There was also a library and study room floor and a canteen/cafeteria floor and there were bathrooms at the end of every floor. University schedules also vary for students, some don’t have to go to class until late in the afternoon or midday.
You’ll also need to decide if your characters are studying part-time or full-time because that would impact how many classes they have to attend.
My personal schedule was 2 days a week (part-time study) for a few hours for each of those days.
We could also leave the university during lunch breaks and eat elsewhere.
We also didn’t need a uniform.
The classroom environment is a lot more laidback than high school and students are more on the same-ish level as their lecturer (adult and adult) rather being a child/younger student being taught by an adult.
My peers and I also had student cards and access keys (swipe cards) so if you didn’t have those, you couldn’t use the elevator or enter a room. If yours was missing or forgotten, then you’d have to go to the reception desk and ask for a replacement or one you could borrow. If you lost your student card, then you couldn’t borrow any books (paperback or electronic) from the library and would need to have it replaced.
You’re also at university to study a specific field(s) rather than general fields like in high school (English, Math, Science, Art, etc). Mine was Games Development — I didn’t study any other fields.
All of our reports and assignments etc. were submitted to a student portal, basically we never had any physical things we’d have to hand in to the lecturer in person. Some of our assignments were also displayed for other classmates to see on the portal, I’m not sure why but perhaps this was to encourage us to get our work done or make us more competitive. :woman_shrugging:t3:

My ex’s experience was different to mine though, as he was going to/still goes to a much larger university and his chosen field of study was different to mine too.
I also lived in an apartment several streets away from my university but it wasn’t student accommodation, whereas my ex lived in a student accommodation building (with dorms) specific to his university. His dorm building had a ground floor which had all of their mail boxes and also contained the laundromats, there was also another floor which was solely for cooking — it had an array of stainless steels sinks, ovens etc. But all of the residential dorm levels also had a communal shower/toilet section, with one side for males and the other for females (separated from each other of course). There was also a rooftop balcony where students could hang out and overlook the city. He had to pay a wifi fee for internet access, and the more he paid, the more he could use+the faster the internet. If I recall correctly, I think the standard amount of rent for the dorm room was around $300 AUD per week (around $234 USD).

1 Like

To how the university is like - it might be a bit different based on the country so my experience doesn’t necessarily have to be identical to USA uni or whatever county you place your story in.

But here is my experience.

Uni is much more about selfstudy than highschool - in meaning of your own responsibility to learn it.
We had lectures which ware for all students in the big lecture halls - this ware not mandatory - if you were not attending and decide to learn just from books or notes of your schoolmates you could have done it - most of the subject had also practical lectures - small groups around 12-15 people - this ware mandatory and if you skipped more like 3 you ware not allowed to come to the exam of this subject.

There is no testing and grades receiving during the semester you receive grades only at the end of the semester - either have the subject some exam text (usually both written and then verbal) or you have to hand over semestral work (essay or technical drawings or design, based on the subject)

If you are from a distant place you will usually have the possibility to live in some uni dorm, but people from the city usually live at home because they cant get the place in the dorms.

The uni dorm is more like cheap flat then a hotel - there are some rules like closing hours and so but you usually can do what you want in your dorm - depends on the quality of the dorm in our country we usually do not have separate bathrooms for each room so you have to use the common one on the corridor - the same goes for the kitchen.

You usually have a roommate that you cant choose (in your first year) and it might be somebody going to completely different lectures than you.

The uni might have some credit system - we had it - this basically is about to divide the one who alre lazy and would study forever - so this system is not allowing them to do so.

We were able to have the same subject only 2x and in the semester you had max 2x possibility to go to the exam - if you failed you were done with the uni

You also have to have to write down what you will study next semester - you have subject that you need to have but you can decide in which semester you will study them - but there is a requirement on “new credits” - that means that some amount of subject must be new - so if you have failed in lot of subjects from past semester you still can go on them in next one, but you need also some amount of new subjects … which makes it in such case hard to catch up and finish all the exams.

Afters some years/ semesters you can got a title - sometimes you can have 2 - bachelor and then the final title - there is again exam which covers the knowledge from the past years - if you fail you have 2 try if you fail again you end the school and get no title - you basically haven’t finished the school even you ware there for years.

So its more about having complex knowledge for a longer time and about your own responsibility that you will learn everything.

Because its academic - you can also learn lot of stuff which is about the theory behind it and which (tbh) has no practical use in your professional life after the uni.

1 Like

Moved to Share Feedback since this is not about coding. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.