High schools in america

i’m lookong forward to find out more about how high schools work in America.
E.g. - classes/classmates (cuz here in Europe we have the same classmates for 4 years and most of the classes are in the same classroom; we don’t have lockers, cafeteria…etc. that’s why i would like to know more about senior year:). it’s for my story… the characters graduated in the first episode)
plus exams … stuff like this

7 Likes

I live in Michigan and we just now started to have to use our lockers but other than that we have a choice. My school gives us six classes and we use to have trimesters but now we have semesters. We even have A lunch or B lunch. At A lunch you go eat before your 4th class and B you leave to eat in the middle of class and come back to your 4th class after.

3 Likes

Woah!

2 Likes

You should honestly see my best friends backpack :joy: It weighs a ton so I guess the locker thing is good now. Also we use to have C lunch, you eat after 4th hour but they said it wasn’t helping students :woman_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

you guys get 3 lunches?? they barely gave us ONE lunch at my old school!

2 Likes

my characters live in Springfield btw.
i’m more interested in what happens in the last month, yk, like exams (it’s date and the results), prom, graduating… :relaxed:

1 Like

I didn’t know that actually. I’ve been dealing with this my entire childhood. :flushed:

1 Like

Well the seniors in our school get a month off because they take exams early. The freshman, sophomores, and juniors, take their exams on half days. School for me ends on June 14th and we have 6 classes so we take two exams a day and then leave. On the last day we all go out into the hallway after the marching band passes and the seniors will walk down the hall with the cap and gowns with the marching band in front.

1 Like

are you still doing school in a physical building or online?

1 Like

Online school just now started though they sent out work packets to keep our minds fresh. They’re about 20 pages each and they send out notifications through google classroom.

2 Likes

Depends on where you live and what school you go to.
I live in an area where crime rate is very high and I go to a public school.

Because I go to a public school in Baltimore, there’s a lot of kids who drug deal in my school. People idolize s-x by the time you’re 16. There are a lot of popular people who like to party, and they judge you based on how you dress and look. Every year we have different classes, most likely different teachers. If teachers aren’t strict, they get treated with a lot of disrespect from the mischievous students.

However, we have AP classes (college level classes)
Those classes don’t have michevious students and more respectful ones. The teachers are stricter in those classes and a lot of kids do more work.

My school is crazy, and we have a bad rep, but the college level classes are very good and prestigious in the school

2 Likes

oh, thank god. I would have had no idea what to say if they still made you go into an actual building for school :grimacing:

1 Like

My school’s reputation dropped after the last principal left. We have AP classes, early college, and honors classes. You have to sign up for AP a year ahead and do a summer packet. The teachers also have to sign you into it. The honors classes you can choose a year ahead too and you have to have a decent grade for. Early college you sign up for sophomore year. You leave school halfway throughout the day and go to study at an actual college.

2 Likes

We shut down some months before this got very serious. Everyone at school was talking about it and they said we needed to stay safe.

2 Likes

There’s also this forest by the school that a lot of students go to before class starts in the morning to smoke. It’s really bad only because of my area and school.

There’s also magnet schools. My friends go there, I don’t.
Those schools have students who are more cocky. They think they’re better because they go to a better school.
Teachers are more strict, dress codes are more strict, and usually the school system is more strict. It doesn’t mean the school is better though. Some students from magnet schools transfer to my school because they aren’t good

2 Likes

you have to sign up for AP? That’s only an option for me. I still take it though. In my school, honor classes are easy, they’re basically the same as standard

2 Likes

you have exams after or before graduating?

1 Like

Everyone has exams before.

1 Like

Honors English makes us write a lot of papers but the teacher is pretty cool. He worked at a college for a couple years and he brings us pies and drinks all the time.

1 Like

My school is veryy different. Honors classes here are basically the same as standard, only you have homework, and standard doesn’t. The only challenging classes with a lot of work are GT and AP

1 Like