Honest Story Reviews: ALL GENRES! (CLOSED!)

Story Title: the Red Curtain
Number of episodes: 4 (more coming soon)
Cover

Description of the Story You are a teenage boy trying to find your own voice in lyrical opera, friendship, love, sexuality and family.
Unravel the present, take a stroll in the past and get a glimpse of the future.
Link to the story itself LINK:

Gotcha. Sry I’m not feeling too well so I wasn’t in the zone.

1 Like

As written above, @TamiRose has already finished filling out the necessary and relevant criteria, which means that you must wait for yours to be reviewed. I personally asked for you to wait until I had reviewed three stories at once. Right now, I have three stories to review, which means that your story will be temporarily flagged and ignored. Please take into consideration that I cannot review more than three at once!

1 Like

Sure, no problem at all :smiley:

1 Like

This is great!

1 Like

Mysteria, @KlutzEKat Review:

Impactful Choices/Choices in general: 7/10. The choices are less frequent, which makes for a minor interactivity from the reader’s viewpoint. The choices, nonetheless, matter to a certain point. For instance, the first choice that the reader acknowledges it whether the main character needs to flee the scene or attack the vampire in the story’s second chapter. My point is that choices need to be more frequent throughout the story, especially when choices are supposed to be impactful.

Grammar and Vocabulary: 8/10. The vocabulary provided is an extended one, making the story and dialogue more consistent. At some points in the story, your vocabulary is less recognizable and too mediocre, which is completely humane. The punctuation is mostly correct, and there was not an array of misunderstandings and grammatical errors to pinpoint, but some sentences should be rewritten. You excel in spelling words, even ones that are difficult and easily misspelled. You write, “Stop using time and find the books dummy”. This should be rewritten and improved to “Stop using time and find the books, dummy.” In addition, you should improve the sentence: “Not so tough now are we?” to “Not so tough now, are we?” In the second chapter, you write, “Count yourself lucky girl”. Please rewrite this to “Count yourself lucky, girl.”

Directing and the addition of overlays: 7.75/10. The directing you have provided for the reader in this story is without a doubt very well directed by an upcoming author as yourself. You include zooms and panning of cameras at the characters in different occasions and scenes thoroughly. The addition of more background characters would improve your directing, even though it takes some time to code. You also pan the camera at the character speaking or doing something simultaneously, which adds captivation and makes the reader enthusiastic.

Plot and storytelling: 8/10. You, the author, have provided the reader with a planned and thought-out plot that captivated the reader for the adventure that may lie ahead of them. Personally, the reader finds themselves connected to the plot, seeing as it is very palpable and the metaphorical message that you are attempting at telling. The comparison between Amara and the other character that she is mistaken for is a brilliant adaption to the story’s plot. Nonetheless, the reason why you did not receive the full score is due to the lack of character narration, which is quite important for the reader in order to connect with the story’s main character(s).

Character development: 7/10. The character development is another department of storytelling that you have done excellent work on. The characters are developed well, all of them having different backgrounds and intentions of their actions. By providing the reader with information about the characters’ past compared to its future, you create a well-developed character.

Diversity: 9/10. The diversity in this story is excellent. You include characters of different origins, historical roots, religious and ethical beliefs as well as the inclusion of different sexual orientations.

Different backgrounds, overlays, etc.: 2/5. The backgrounds are heavily used in other stories, and makes the story less intriguing as they have already been used in plenty of other stories. Something palpable to the reader is the less usage of overlays. Nowadays, it is very normal and maybe even a requirement to include overlays to each story.

Chapter Length: 4/5. The length of each chapter is quite fitting. Nonetheless, some episodes are longer and some episodes are somewhat shorter than the other is. Moreover, this is the only reason why I am subtracting a point from the 5/5 score, because it can be confusing to the reader. You should try your best to make each chapter just as long as the other is. However, the chapter lengths depend on each episode’s scenes, as it can vary quite frequently.

Creativity: 4.25/5 . Considering several factors, you add the adaption of all genres, which shows that you master the ability of writing with not only a few, but also all genres. In addition, you have the Fantasy genre as the main genre, which is quite creative in its own right. Impactful choices shows more creativity by the author’s standpoint, being a necessary adaption of its own. The music is used thoroughly, as well as sound, which in return creates a bond to the story. A story with no sound is not particularly exciting to read, but you master the use of music and sound effects. Another reason as to why I am withdrawing the full score, is that you are starting the second scene of episode one in a cliché way, with the continuously used “I am late!”

Story description: 4/5. In addition to a captivating story cover, I was also captivated by the story description. Personally, I think you managed to add the necessary elements and descriptions without having to spoil anything of the story’s elements. Nonetheless, you use somewhat mediocre vocabulary, but still manage to captivate the reader for the story ahead of them.

Story cover(s): 5/5. As soon as I laid eyes on your story cover, I was in awe of its magnificent and thrilling features. Your story’s cover is extremely well drawn whether you or any other creator drew it. The addition of the story name written across the cover is a recognizable feature. Overall a nicely adaption of the covers that can be found on this app. The fact that you add a description of what your story contains on the cover is also something worth noticing and pinpointing. Well done!

Total Points: 66/85
Star Rating: :star: :star: :star:3/4
Very close to a 4-star. Overall a very well-written story.

1 Like

Ahh thank you! I will make those grammar changes and I truly appreciate the honest feedback! It means a lot to me that you are incredibly thorough and give explanations! Again thank you so much! :purple_heart:

1 Like

You are so welcome! It was my pleasure reading your story, I think you have done a good job with your story. It was almost a four star!

1 Like

Please wait until further notice before posting your story. I must review two more stories before you can add your own to the list of suggestions. Therefore, this recommendation of yours will be temporarily flagged until further notice.

1 Like

Moved to Share Feedback since you’re doing reviews and not R4Rs. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :wink:

1 Like

The Magic’s Death, @neen.k Review:

Impactful Choices/Choices in general: 8/10. Initially, you include the choice of sexual orientation, which is important. In the pilot chapter, you also include the choice of choosing the main character’s attire for work. These both general and normal choices are often used in stories. You add the timer to the story’s choices, which is a nice feature to add and makes the reader feel more attached to the story.

Grammar and Vocabulary: 6/10. Throughout the story, you use a smaller vocabulary. At some point of the story, you attempt at making your vocabulary more consistent and fluent. Overall, your language is common and basic, drawing attention from the youngest readers. The elder viewers and readers may find the vocabulary too small and too inconsistent to complete, which in result leads to poorer reviews. In the pilot episode, you have written “Not a professional way to barge in when you’re already late Mrs.” The correct way to address this sentence, is to add a comma before “Mrs.” or any name in general.

Directing and the addition of overlays: 7.5/10. The very first scene of the first episode makes it quite palpable for the reader that you are doing well at the directing department. This is a reliable asset, as the directing in stories is important to most readers according to surveys. Additionally, you include the choice of having a male or female love interest, which in itself is a different code, and in addition, you must code two different stories. For that in itself, you are proving that your directing is excellent. Overlays are thoroughly used in the story, and you are using them differently, which only goes to show that you know how to code and direct. Well done!

Plot and storytelling: 6/10. The plot is certainly interesting – the characters, nonetheless, feel somewhat dispatched and disinteresting to the reader’s appeal due to the lack of narration and storytelling. However, you have taken the time to think of a plot, which is palpable throughout the story. Well done!

Character development: 5/10. I read every single chapter of your story, but I don’t recognize any true development of you main characters. For a story to succeed, the reader must feel attached to the main character. This is done by connecting the past happenings to the future self. I also see lack of narration, which also is used thoroughly in stories to develop emotion and empathy to your characters and the readers.

Diversity: 7/10. Your characters appear to come from several different places around the world, with historical differences and beliefs. This adds to the list of aspects in your story that you excel in. Well done!

Different backgrounds, overlays, etc.: 5/5. The use of different backgrounds in addition to the overlays is amazing. I enjoyed reading the story due to the frequent use of the overlays and clickable overlays, too. The different backgrounds make it easier to read without having to eye the same overused backgrounds from other stories. Well done!

Chapter Length: 5/5. Nothing much to pinpoint about the story’s length. The chapters are just about the length that fits the reader’s mood and enthusiasm at a given time. It does not bore nor does it include unnecessary scenes only to make the story longer in time. Well done in this department of the story!

Creativity: 3.5/5 Initially, I like the fact that the story begins with a heavily coded scene in the dreams of the main character. Something that shows the lack of creativity is the cliché of being too late for work or school in the first chapter. If you had chosen a different way of starting the very first episode (which is supposed to captivate the reader), I am sure that you would have made your directing and storytelling more brilliant. The usage of music and sounds is thoroughly used throughout the story in occasions where it perfectly fits.

Story description: 3/5. The story description is simplistic, which is completely fine because simple is sometimes better than elaborative. The description is captivating for some readers, but not for most as it does not include much information about the plot or story itself. However, it is better to include less information for the sake of not spoiling anything for the reader.

Story cover(s): 1/5. The story cover is extremely beautiful; the only problem with using this cover is that an Episode creator drew it. Sometimes, we cannot focus on the art, but hope that the story itself can be good enough for the reader not to focus on the story cover.

Total Points: 49,5/85
Star Rating: :star: :star: :star:

You may recommend two more stories for me to review now that I have finished the two last:

The suggestions begin here:
Do not add more stories if you see that two people have suggested stories before you!
If you do that, I will ignore your story!
I am changing it to two people since three were too much at a time!
@youngblackboy @grottino @TamiRose

Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/6610272544423936

AVENGER_posterThumb_v494dzbvBo

1 Like

Thank you so much!

1 Like

thank you so much, i’ll be sure to go back and carefully read everything so i can fix my grammar! this was extremely helpful and i deeply appreciate that you took time out of your day to write such a review!

1 Like

You’re welcome. It was my pleasure.

Thank you so much! This helped me a lot to see the mistakes in my story. I’ll be sure to read through the whole thing carefully and try to improve my story as much as I can.

1 Like

You are very welcome! I enjoyed reading your story very much.

can you rewiew my unpublish story?

Hey I just read you have space for 2 more!

Could you review my story? It’s called Pathway to Reality and it’s a horror story. It has 6 published episodes and it’s ongoing

Here’s the link:

And the cover:

3 Likes