Houston we have a coding problem

I’m coding an intro to my story and it seems impossible to already have my characters standing in the position i want them BEFORE the scene opens. I have to make my characters do actions because thats the pose I want them already standing in. For example, I have to use an eat action for Blanche (character in white hair) because at the end of that action, it looks like they are holding the mask. But the way my coding was, it showed Blanche doing the eating AFTER the screen opens, and I DONT WANT THAT! So I changed it trying to make it better, but I made it worse and now the characters aren’t doing their actions at all and just standing there.

How do I code it so that my characters are already done doing their action and posing properly by the time the scene opens? I will attach what my coding currently looks like below, as well as a screenshot of the positions I want them already standing in when the screen opens.

Coding

What I want them to look like

1 Like

Do you want them to be already at the spot or should we see them enter?

1 Like

INT. YOUR BACKGROUND - DAY
&BLANCHE spot 1.154 182 0 AND BLANCHE faces right AND BLANCHE is eat_food_angry_loop AND LOUISE spot 1.118 77 6 AND LOUISE faces left AND LOUISE is idle_handsonhips_neutral_loop
(Copy your overlays commands here with the sign &)
@transition fade in 2

1 Like

Honestly I would just upload a black background as an overlay, make the characters do their pose then change the opacity of the black background overlay to 0 in 2 or something so it looks like a transition

2 Likes

Already be at that spot! Because I dont want to show the eating action, just the part where blanche’s hand is already out

2 Likes

Yeah, I understood, but the animation does its thing unfortunately and we see it if it is not for another overlay

1 Like

that is smart lol. i figured id ask because ive had problems like this with my first story where i cant get the characters already in position by the time the screen opens. but ill try your coding suggestion and if that doesnt work ill make the black overlay

2 Likes

Lol yeah but I thought it worked but nah the guy is eating so I suggest you to directly do the thing with the black background :laughing:

2 Likes

okay, thank you for the help!

2 Likes

Although the way I put all the characters on a same line and directly at their spot without walking is easier but that’s up to you ! If you use the black background don’t forget to add layers to the characters next to the zone in their spotting.

1 Like

Use the & sign instead
For example:

INT. COVER
&YOU stands screen left AND YOU is flirt_wink_forward AND YOU faces left
&KADEN stands screen right AND KADEN is talk_flex AND KADEN faces right
@pause for a beat
@transition fade in black in 3

You can also do it without the pause.

If that still doesn’t work, you could just make a background of the intro (the characters on the background) or I could make one for you!

1 Like

okay i will try that, thank you for the suggestion! and if i doesnt work out i will do the black overlay like Hijiko mentioned.

And I do already have a cover I could upload as a background, but I wanted to see if I could bring this to life because the title is animated so i thought it would look cool to have the characters animated too, plus i wanted Louise to wink at the end after the title animates.

Sounds good!

Moved to Directing Helps and Tips since this involves coding. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.