How am I going to code this?

Okay so this is quite difficult to explain and I’m sorry if it doesn’t make sense but basically I have six main characters in this story and I’m allowing players to choose which character they want to play as. When I did the “Choose your character thing” I put them in to two groups. One group with three and another with three. But the problem is I’m going to start the real story with the character of whoever they picked but I’m not sure how I’m going code this? Please help! Here are some screenshots. Thank you in advanced!

How much are you planning to change based on how they play as? Will each character have different thoughts and scenes?

My suggestion would be to use gains and labels. Treat it as if you are doing a gender choice story?

If you want to just use one character base to spot direct, I suggest using the following command:

@CHARACTER becomes MC

You’d need to create another “MC” character, but then whichever character they choose, that character becomes the MC. Then, you wouldn’t need to spot direct 6 different characters, and you’d also only need one set of dialogue (maybe use an “if” statement in case their personalities are different and would say different things). If this makes sense for how you want to structure your story/code, I’d suggest using it!

2 Likes

Yes each character has different thoughts, scenes and a story. Sorry I’m new to writing an episode story but what is a gain?

1 Like

Okay thank you! I’ll try using this method and I’ll let you know when I’m having trouble.

1 Like

It’s all good. If that’s the case, @Lurhu’s idea is probably better suited

2 Likes

wtf this is so much easier than having to put gains…

1 Like

For some cases definitely :wink: I used this in one of my stories already and plan to use it in others!! Best part is, the “becomes” works for both guy and girl characters! Gains are still great for personality traits etc.

1 Like

If you’re separating them into two groups, will the reader get to play as three girls throughout the story (since there’s three in each group), or pick only one individual character out of all 6, regardless of group? I think you could just use gains / labels if you’re doing that.

The readers will be picking one individually from the group.

1 Like

Could you explain then why you separated the six characters into two groups? :blush:

Because I’m doing a character selection thing and putting all six into one group it will be difficult for me to code and place them all in a spot since I’m new to writing episode stories and I want to get used to coding. :smile:

Hmm in that case, maybe @Apes or @Dara.Amarie could help? :thinking:

1 Like

Yeah they could i guess :blush: I just followed a tutorial on how to do a character selection thing and I tried to do it with six people but I really struggled so I just separated them into two groups.

I will PM you :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.