How authors portraits bisexuality

is it just me or most of the episode authors portrait bisexual people as some crazy sex maniac that does it with literally any breathing being?
almost all stories that has a bisexual person on episode that I’ve seen, they seem to describe us as sex addicts but we’re not really that, and that triggers me.

just so you know, i’m not generalising the authors!

15 Likes

this is so true all the bisexuals in episode stories look like sex freaks…

4 Likes

well, of course, how else are they suppose to show they are into both genders other than sleeping with half the school that was a joke

4 Likes

right?
there’s an episode story i think it is “the fundamentals of heartache” from Ceri that has a bisexual character named Finn, and it really triggers me how he is shown to us like a sex freak.

3 Likes

Like a normal human

1 Like

tbh I haven’t found a story where a bisexual character isn’t a sex freak and that is pretty sad… most of the time they also seem kinda uhm… crazy… no offence but most of the stories with bisexual characters always make them: A murderer that sleeps with everyone

2 Likes

Moved to Episode Fan Community since Community is for discussion of specific stories. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

It really pisses me off that authors do this. As someone who used to identify as bisexual, I can tell you that I was probably the most faithful person I know (and still am tbh)
Most bisexuals are not sex freaks. (Some are, but no more than Straights, Gays etc.)

3 Likes

I personally think it’s a problem that comes from authors trying to stay away from stereotypes? Like, from what I’ve seen, it seems as if they are “sex freaks” first, bisexual characters second, in the sense that first the character was thought of as someone who is obsessed with hooking up, and then, so there aren’t any problems of the character coming off as a slut (in the case of a girl), or an asshole (in the case of a guy), they make it so that they hook up with both genders? (And also so they can have more characters to hook up with)
I mean, obviously they shouldn’t be solely portrayed as sex-crazed, as having a new partner every week, or as cheating partners, and I do think it’s a problem people relate these “qualities” to bisexuals… But at the same time maybe I see where they are coming from? And I don’t mind as much, as long as there is more bisexual representation in the story, maybe with characters that aren’t blatant stereotypes.

2 Likes

shamelessly raises hand

My story! The MC is bi and NOT a nymphomaniac :joy:

5 Likes

It’s a very common trope in fiction & media. When you compare it with the amount of “thirsty” straight characters, the bisexuals always win. :joy: (Before anyone says “I’ve seen more thirsty straight characters”: Look up how common it is outside of Episode, featured story MCs don’t make the norm.)

What my problem is that we never really get to learn why they are so interested in it. Are they trying to validate themselves off of other people? That’d be an interesting flaw. But again, this is Episode. It may not be that deep… :flushed:

(Used thirsty for lack of a better word. Try not to take it to heart. :no_mouth:)

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s portrayed right in many cases, and I feel the same for gay characters also.
Lots of stereotypes.

As a matter of fact, I haven’t found one story where sexuality is just hinted at, and never explained.

2 Likes

Agreed. With all of the above, especially Moth’s two points above.

Another thing to consider: all the positive representations of bi people that I’ve seen (which to be honest, is two), the character is explicitly labeled pan. I have no problem with people irl identifying as pan, but a lot of times it stems from biphobia and wanting to avoid ‘negative’ connotations. Bi and pan are virtually the same, I just think it’s weird that whenever a character has a HEALTHY relationship with their sexuality they’re labelled pan.

And of course the dichotomy of the ‘virtuous and open-minded pan person’ versus the ‘sex-crazed shallow bisexual’ is just reinforced when the only people who use the label use the above discussed stereotype

3 Likes

in us at midnight, the MC is bisexual and she isn’t portrayed as sexually obsessed or anything <3 the author genuinely loves writing so she knows how to correctly show most things :relieved:

2 Likes

Sex crazed is a blatant stereotype, it comes from the idea that because we aren’t attracted to one gender we’re flaky greedy nymphos who are out here just trying to fuck anything that moves, not all representation is acceptable representation especially when it’s inaccurate and harmful. I think lot of these characters are being created by young authors who have no experience, no knowledge of the subject and are only parroting preexisting media representation which is again often inaccurate and harmful.

3 Likes

It’s funny how you get the option to choose your bisexual or the author makes you bisexual to throw in diversity but all they use is stereotypes, how the hell is that “diverse” when you make the fact that a character is bisexual their whole personality and you use stereotypes to portray them.

5 Likes

I agree

That is super weird that these people would be labeled pan. I’m pansexual myself, but - that sort of thing just gives both bi and pan folk a bad name.

Some people see pan as just, ‘woke bi’ which, it isn’t really, but I feel as though the authors you describe must be using it in that context. “Look how woke my character is, they’re pan, not bi!” When, in reality, pansexual isn’t just… liking non-binary folk, too. That’s not why I’m pansexual, y’know?

3 Likes

Exactly!! Pan is treated like a personality/ indication of ‘wokeness’, which isn’t really fair to pan people either?

2 Likes

I am actually working on a story where the MC and one of the love interests are Bi, yet not sex freaks

1 Like