How "bad boys" are used in stories

I always get so mad, when I want to read a story and see the same thing over and over again- Bad boys.
It’s not just that authors use them, but it’s about HOW they use them.This so called “bad boy” is MC’s LI (love interest) most of the time.
He’s at the beggining careless,heartless etc. Then he’s all like-“I would die for you,You’re the only one.”
So authors thinks, bad boys are like this in real life.I hate to breake it to them, but this isn’t how it really works.
If you want to create a story with a bad boy, you can.But please, think about what you write.
Now I would like your opinion, what you think of it.

7 Likes

I personally do like this kind of stories. but I agree they are completely unrealistic

6 Likes

I think the trope can be interesting, but it has to be done right. For example, you can:

1.) Have the bad boy trope be subverted in some way. Off the top of my head, Confessions of a 40 Year Old Bad Boy would be a good example. If you haven’t read it, I don’t want to spoil, but the general premise is that the story is a realistic look about what kind of person a “highschool bad boy” might grow up to be and its plot deals with how that same man must make amends to the countless women he’s hurt in the past.

2.) Have the bad boy be, well, not really that bad. I don’t mean “He’s had a hard childhood (like really rough, guys), so all is well in light of that information.” And certainly not “Oh, here’s a villain even more terrible than the bad boy! Not so bad in comparison now, is he? :wink:” What I mean is there’s a noticeable difference between a bad boy character who is heartless, abusive, controlling, possessive, all of the above… and like, a character who is sarcastic or rebels against oppressive/wrongful authority and doesn’t mistreat people. Zig from The Freshman story on the Choices app, imo, is a good illustration of how to make a bad boy character who is still a good person.

Main thing for me, however it’s written, is that authors - to the very best of their ability- shouldn’t be influencing women (or anyone, of course, but this is a trope that targets women) to let themselves be mistreated or make allowances for male abusers. I’m also concerned with how the Episode “male teacher/boss/authority figure has sexual romance with young woman” trope is probably a cultural reflection of how society is shaping young women to become vulnerable to older men grooming them, but that’s a discussion for another day.

4 Likes

I hate when men disrespecting women in the stories, and yet they all in love with them :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

I completely agree with the unrealistic-ness but keep in mind it’s Episode and not meant to be realistic!

I fully agree with that!

THEY NEED TO STAY A BAD BOY LIKE SWEETIE NNOOO THEY NEED TO KEEP DEM HARD!!! Yuh know?!

PAUSE FOR ALL OF YALL DIRTY MINDED NASTIES

If an author does a bad boy story they should put in more options so you can choose if you wanna be with him or the other love interest, if there is one. I don’t like when you HAVE to be automatically in love with him if he treats you like garbage. You as the reader, should be able to choose what goes on between you and the BB.

1 Like

This is actually such an important topic to take into account. The trope of falling in love with a bad boy “who’s only good for you” is not realistic. I think bad boys are a dangerous thing to include in stories, and if they must be included, they should do so in a way that demonstrates truly how dangerous they are and not let the MC fall in love with them. Just my two cents, but I also know people love reading those kinds of stories.