How can I write funny scenes without trying too hard?

I feel like every story needs funny scenes, because who doesn’t like laughing? I want my story to have those moments but I don’t want to seem like trying too hard, I dont know if that makes sense. But sometimes writers try too hard so it just becomes not funny and too obvious. What should I do? I’m not entirely good at this so I need suggestions.

2 Likes

You could try to put jokes, but everything also depends on the genre, so like if everything is sad, it wouldn’t be the right moment to put a joke. You can also try cheesy pick-up lines. Here are some examples:
Are you French? Because Eiffel for you
There is something wrong with my phone. It doesn’t have your number in it
If you were a Transformer… you’d be Optimus Fine
Are you a parking ticket? Because you’ve got FINE written all over you
I must be in a museum, because you truly are a work of art
Did your license get suspended for driving all these guys crazy?

And you can find more in the internet :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
But I recommend not to make it too obvious, the reader could find it cringey

1 Like

That is a tough question.

Humorous dialogue is something that comes naturally. If it’s forced, then the reader will take notice. Everyone has their own sense of humor. Most humor that I see people write is “on-the-spot” humor. They didn’t think about the funny line or scene, and they didn’t write it down beforehand. They just improvised on the spot, allowing the funny dialogue or scene to be authentic and natural.

My advice is to create funny characters, whether they have a dark or light-hearted sense of humor (depending on the style of your story). Another piece of advice is to not make the funny scene too obvious, or else the reader may find it cringey. It’s best to make it authentic and natural as it relates to the character(s).

I hope this helps! Good luck!

4 Likes

This is me :joy: I’m just writing a scene and think about what the character would say. Sometimes a joke pops up! I think it’s funny, but you never know if other people will find it funny. That’s why it’s best to use jokes that you think are funny :joy:

1 Like

Only write it if it makes you laugh. It sounds obvious but it helps ground you when you’re at risk of trying too hard.

1 Like

IMO try to do good comedic timing. To me, a lot of jokes are ruined because they just go on for too long. If you’re not very sure about writing funny things, try making short jokes at first. Then you’ll get more used to writing longer funny scenes.

1 Like

Moved to Share Feedback since this is about story ideas. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.