Honestly? I don’t know. I remember on the old forums I wrote up this long thing about why I disliked this story, but, I can’t really remember anything about it, or the story itself. It’s so very… forgettable, you know?
It’s a typical love-at-first-sight, rags-to-riches story, ending all neatly wrapped up in a nice big bow. The dialogue is fine, the direction is fine, everything is just… fine. But nothing ‘POPS’ out at you, you know?
DD has all the main key points of a sort of but not really clear medieval (sometimes fantasy) story on Episode. Well, at least, the ones with the prince and a peasant woman - not the other way around as it can sometimes be.
- A young peasant woman who wants something more.
- A young prince who’s betrothed to someone and wants to marry for love even though in monarchies, arranged marriages are quite commonplace.
- The woman that the prince is betrothed to, who’s jealous, and probably evil. She treats the common people like crap.
- A best friend who’s also a maid in the castle.
- Love at first sight.
- Some creepy old man tasked with marrying the young peasant woman so she’ll stay away from the prince.
- And of course, the ending, everything is wrapped up in a nice big bow. It’ll end with the wedding, the coronation, and a pregnancy (then which the story will skip to the birth, then a little more to show how happy the couple is with their little baby).
… Or you know, something along those lines.
Seriously, the quality of some of the medieval fantasy stories on this app disappoints me. I try to find a good story I can reference for outfit choices (in LL, that’s basically impossible, and most of the time, people don’t try to make things look medieval), or maybe, in terms of how others start… Inspiration. But all I come up with is boredom and disappointment.
The lack of good writing and plot honestly is what inspired me to write my own - and just reviewing the few first chapters of DD has made me want to keep writing right now.
… I don’t know. I don’t think it’s that great. It’s probably popular because it appeals to a mainstream audience, or something. I… really… don’t know.
rip n’ pip.