How did Deepest Desire get so popular?

Good for you :+1:t4:

1 Like

And if you believe that my honesty is being a ‘jerk’, that’s not my problem. I would never hand out personal attacks like I’ve occasionally seen on this forum. We are here to discuss stories, and that is what I am doing.

1 Like

3 Likes

And if anyone thinks my story, The Queen of Freaks, is terrible, please feel free to tell me. I am always open for criticism, no matter how honest it is.

You’re 100% right, I’m sorry for making that comparison. I guess what I really meant to say was that I wish more people would appreciate brilliantly written stories like yours, and just because I wish some smaller creators had more success, that shouldn’t mean that I want to take away from the success of others.
I suppose part of me is also just frustrated that the types of stories that are my style and that I like to read aren’t very easily accessible to me on the Episode app. None of the stories that appeal to me are the ones that pop up in the Trending section, and I have to do a lot of deep digging to find ones that I really enjoy. I’m sorry for making you uncomfortable, and I’ll be sure to avoid saying things like that in the future. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thank you for understanding! I totally get the frustration because believe me, I was also frustrated by the lack of visibility that less popular genres got too. However, the weekly shelves and genre shelves help make stories a little bit more visible now than it’s been and there are a lot of users who are tackling the issue of visibility in ways that don’t tear down others. For instance, The Episode Knitters feature a lot of smaller stories and if you follow @ /amepisode on Instagram she’s always shouting out great unknown stories. There’s always room for improvement in this area, but it’s slowly getting a better and I hope it continues improving. There’s definitely ways for us to give more visibility to smaller authors that write different types of stories without taking away from other authors, and that’s something I also had to learn in the past few years. Thanks again! :slight_smile: :heart:

4 Likes

There’s constructive criticism and then there’s criticism that insults and discourages. Throwing insults doesn’t help writers and I was just responding to your comment about helping writers grow. If you want to help writers grow, you wouldn’t be freely insulting and putting their stories down. You can give critique without being disparaging.
But do what you want. Just understand that Just as you have the freedom to state your opinion, others also have the freedom to give dissenting opinions. If insulting authors’ writing and pretending that you’re doing so to help them grow makes you feel better about yourself, go for it; however, don’t be surprised when others have something to say about it or if people get upset. I never said you can’t say you don’t like something. Just maybe don’t be a jerk about it without expecting somebody to tell you you’re being a jerk. Have a nice day.

7 Likes

There’s a difference between being insulting and disparaging and giving out negative feedback. It is NECESSARY to point out shortcomings in stories, and if you read through my comments, you’ll see that I have. I think it’s childish to shield writers from criticism simply because it’s negative.

Jerk is a subjective term. People could think you’re being a jerk right now. It’s all relative.

I think it’s also very rude of you to presume you know what’s going on in my head.

Lol whut
Bruh have a Coke and a smile. I was just being honest :hugs:

As I’ve already said, I think it’s very rude for you to make assumptions about my intentions just because you disagree with my methods.

If this was my story then i would have felt very bad after reading this topic… The author of this story did his/her best just like any other author no matter how popular a story is. How about us authors support other authors, instead of trashing them? I myself find jealousy a extremely unattractive emotion.

4 Likes

Ur the author of tht *-*i like tht i hope you continue it

1 Like

It’s not about trashing them. It’s about not pretending they’re fragile. If you’re gonna post to the public, you need to be prepared that not everyone is going to like what you read. How are you supposed to grow as a writer if your head is in the sand?

And also not to demonise blunt people, resorting to namecalling because you disagree with them.

Fantasy doesnt have to be restrictive to only medieval u can mix things together to create a world. Some modern and some fantasy makes for an intresting dynamic

2 Likes

Definitely! I love futuristic fantasy for example.

I’ll definitely be continuing! Unfortunately, I got serious writer’s block, and I don’t want to publish anything that I’m not completely happy with! I don’t want to publish anything that I personally wouldn’t want to read! :frowning: Hopefully soon!

1 Like

Saying there’s a difference between constructive criticism and criticism that insults and discourages isn’t even shielding authors.

I’m not going to keep repeating myself because you don’t want to get it and you’ve been defensive from jump. Learn the difference between helpful criticism and destructive criticism and have a nice day.

2 Likes

That’s true. I guess I’m one of those arseholes that goes the ‘p u r e l y m e d i e v a l’ route when looking at fantasy. It was the author’s choice.

Still though, my opinions about the ‘doctor’ thing and Christmas still stands.

2 Likes

You clearly don’t want to get me, and I feel as though you’re projecting. I’m telling you that throughout this feed, I have given constructive criticism that you seem to refuse to go back and read. I have come up with at LEAST five things I disliked about the plot, but yet it is still popular. As I said initially, I would love to know what stands out about it. I was looking for people who liked it so that I can know what appeals on the app a little better.

Namecalling doesn’t stop that from being true. Demonising blunt people doesn’t make you better than them.