How did you get your first reads?

It sort of depends. Usually at least a couple of days before. If it’s been a while since I posted an episode, I might post something just to show people I’m working on it :rofl:

Actually i haven’t gotten 1k reads yet so i’m just going to delete my first comment. :joy: but if you are going to do R4R until 1k reads then you would have to do a R4R with many people probably.

No doing r4r untill 1k is impossible. Would be a suicide mission lol

1 Like

I was also wondering if I got this part right.
To get your story to be ranked well so above 100 or somewhere like 120 you need to have several reads in a row. So if I got it well even r4r if random wont get you to more visible position it will just boost your story views.

And I also think that story title plays a huge role in getting your story more visible. Lets say it has love in it there is more chance that will show frequently depending on rank of course to people who make a search with keyword love. And I think most of them do. If your story title starts with Looking like mine chances are poor lol. I just discovered it pretty late lol. I know other keywords that you can select when posting a story can help but they are way too generic.

Lol I know right. You would have to ask many people to read it.

1 Like

I never did R4R, but I updated weekly, and I published my second story only a few weeks after the first one, so I think that helped a little too, because some people were reading both of them. I have to add that back then my episodes were very short and the directing was very basic, so that’s the main reason I managed to update frequently… So of course, I’m not suggesting you to do it like this, but yes, updating is probably the best you can do.

I’m pretty sure Instagram helps a lot too, and I also noticed a boost in my reads when I joined and became active on the forums.

4 Likes

Do R4R and just wait patiently. That’s all what you can do basically

2 Likes

A combination of writing in an easy-to-trend genre (comedy) and posting screenshots / updates on Instagram.

2 Likes

Thank you all for sharing your advices with me <3

For my very first story, 1k took me months to get. With no self promoting, no social media, nothing… The only thing that got me those reads was updating again. And again. And again. And again. I think I entered 2 contests before I still had 1k reads on that first story, lol :laughing: And those contest entries both got less than 50 reads. I think after I had published about 10 episodes on story #1, that’s when I had about 1k reads :thinking:

5 Likes

Yeah but if I figured it well if one doesn’t do r4r and doesn’t have regular readers the story ranking drops more and more so even if somebody is looking through the section your story is in, or searching keywords you typed your story will appear after several other thousands. So no probability that someone will read it. Or I got if wrong?

1 Like

In theory, you’re right. But not everyone searches for stories the same way. When I first found the app, I would read stories I found on other authors shelves on the app, which didn’t require any searching or scrolling through trending sections. That was where I got most of my recommendations from

3 Likes

R4Rs… so many R4Rs. Lots of promotion on Instagram. I would also really watch popular authors insta stories, because a lot of times they will have contests where they will recommend your story. And of course, making friends always helps. The more friends you have, the more people you have to recommend your story! :yum:

Yeah but how to end on somebodys shelve? They need to read your story and like it. So its a sort of closed circle :frowning:

I am fairly new on Insta. Just made it few days ago. Lol yeah aliens like me are rare species but we do exist :slight_smile:
Pardon my stupid questions but how do I find those stories and contests?

1 Like

Just follow a bunch of big authors! Check their insta stories (the bubbles at the top) and posts. I’ve had a few big authors post “first ten to message me will get a recommendation” and that’s what seriously helped!!! Just make sure you have a good description! That’s a huge helper

1 Like

Sometimes it’s just down to luck, but it’s not as closed off as it seems. Like I told you, it took me months to get 1k reads. I entered a contest and only got 12 reads on my story. That was over 2 years ago and that story only just has 1k reads as of recently. Some things take time but if you keep updating and work your hardest to put together an enjoyable story, readers will find you.

3 Likes

Ok thx for your help <3

1 Like

I update regularly. As soon as I post a chapter I am already working on new one so I’d say I post regularly.