How did you learn to code Episode stories and how long did it take?

I have a couple of questions for everyone that has learned how to write code for Episode stories! : )

• How did you learn how to code on Episode’s Writer’s Portal?
  • How long did it take you to learn how to code?
  • And do you have any tips you’d like to share with people looking to learn?
1 Like

Joseph Evans videos and pretty much trail and error. As well as forums :relieved:

Started in 2020 due to boredom but still learning today as well on some things that I don’t know

Honestly have fun with it, write for you not for others :two_hearts:

3 Likes

A BUNCH of youtube tuts

maybe a year or so. I’ve been coding since 2021

always use sound, try not to use the exits screen commands. And take as many breaks as you need

3 Likes
  • How did you learn how to code on Episode’s Writer’s Portal?

I used Joseph Evans youtube playlist, www.dara-amarie.com and the Portal’s own tutorial stories. Everything else is just trial and error.

• How long did it take you to learn how to code?

I learned the basics (overlay animations, spotting, zoom/pans) in a couple weeks of practice and learned the more advanced ways to use the tools within a few months - though I will say ‘learning’ and being ‘proficient’ in code are different. I still review the playlist etc and check things on dara’s site.

• And do you have any tips you’d like to share with people looking to learn?

I think the biggest piece of advice is take your time and really learn the basics before trying to stuff your story with tons of advanced code. Once you have a good grasp of the basics, the more advanced stuff is that much easier. And, speaking for myself, I’d rather have a well written story with basic spot/camera/speechbubbles in the right direction story than have a mediocre one stuffed with all the bells and whistles.

And to not be afraid to ask for help/tips/etc here on the forums. We’ve all had errors that confuse us or templates that didn’t work the way we thought. Sometimes having an extra pair of eyes helps find things you yourself might skim over.

Don’t beat yourself up if you don’t get something the first or fifth time-- coding, like any skill, takes awhile to get really good at. No one just picks up a tool and is instantly a master of it.

My biggest tip: WATCH THE PLAYLIST lol seriously, Joseph Evans does such a good job of explaining everything in detail and also gives example codes and previews inside the portal so you see exactly what he’s doing (the code) and the way it looks in preview.

3 Likes

Great question. I started in 2020, mostly watching the guides on episode. Then I linked up with someone on forums and she helped a lot when I had questions. I learned a lot through trial and error. One day (not too long ago) the coding kinda “clicked” finally and came a lot easier for me. I’m even decent enough to help others with their questions and find the issues to their errors. I’m still learning a lot though!

2 Likes

Definitely trial & error as well & YouTube tips/guides! (@/episodenotes & Joseph Evans specifically)

2 Likes

I would say don’t compare yourself to others and go at your own pace. I’m still learning a bunch of things

2 Likes

strictly speaking just learning, it took me a couple days, but it takes weeks to memorise and become proficient, youtuve videos were my saving grace when learning.

I think advice wise, if you wanna do smth more difficult but youre new to coding thats great, but learn the basics first, because once you have a true understanding you can usually figure things out without having to look up the code at all. id also say that you dont NEED bunch of advanced coding to make an excellent story, I almost never do anything advanced just because i think things looking seamless and pretty are just as good as a really intricate scene. all about personal preference so dont think that just because you arent doing smth someone else is means your story is lacking because it isnt.

3 Likes

Moved to Creator’s Corner since this is about coding. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

I started from Episode’s Guides, then from Dara-Amarie, Mary D Sava, and Joseph Evans. Also, a lot of trial & error, always :rofl:
Another thing I like to do is while I’m reading other peoples stories I pay attention to what is happening coding wise and I ask myself how did they achieve that? And before I continue reading the story, I try to figure it out and write it down.

I’ve been on and off on Episode since it started so it took me… years :eye::lips::eye:
But only because I wasn’t consistent with it. It’s not hard to learn! Practice makes everything perfect, and learning through trial & error is good.

Asking questions through the forum is a big help and writing down the code’s you’ve had trouble learning so you can refer back to.
I think finding a writing partner and working with them is a good way to learn too.
Take your time! :slight_smile:

1 Like

As everyone else: Joseph Evans’ tutorials :raised_hands:t3: Also by trying myself. I think I’ve learned the most while writing a contest story.

I would say I’m one of the OGs here :sweat_smile: I’ve been on here since 2015 :older_woman:t3: But haven’t truly started advanced coding until 2018/2019? I’d say it took my about a year to be really good.

You can check out my threads :hugs: There are a lot of tips and tutorials. For example: Writing an Episode story 101 - The key to success
Also check out Joseph’s tutorials and Dara’s website: dara-amarie.com

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.